Professor Liguo Zhao BEng PhD
Professor of Solid Mechanics
Liguo Zhao is a Professor in Solid Mechanics at Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering of Loughborough University (since 2016). Prior to this, he had been working as reader/senior lecturer at Loughborough University (2012~2016), senior lecturer at University of Portsmouth (UK, 2005~2012) and postdoctoral research associate/fellow in some of the top UK universities (Cambridge, Imperial College and Nottingham, 1997~2005). He holds a PhD in Solid Mechanics (1996) and a BEng in applied mechanics (1992), awarded by Xi’an Jiaotong University, one of the top and prestigious universities of China. Since 1999, Prof Zhao has been continuously working on Structural Integrity of gas turbine engines, focusing on deformation, facture, fatigue, creep, crack initiation and growth for nickel-based superalloys. In this high impact area, he has secured, as lead/principal investigators, three large multi-institutional EPSRC grants, totalling 2.2 million pounds. He received the award of prestigious Royal Society-Leverhulme Trust Senior Research Fellowship in 2008. Prof Zhao has an outstanding and sustained record of high-quality peer-refereed journal publications, including world-leading journals in solid mechanics such as International Journal of Plasticity, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Materials Science and Engineering A and Engineering Fracture Mechanics.
In particular, Prof Zhao has been successful in developing new research in the area of Biomechanics, out of a PhD research program in 2012 and with recent publications in Materials Science and Engineering C and Journal of Biomechanics. The development opened up opportunities for him to collaborate with Abbott Vascular, a world-leading stent-manufacturing company in USA, via research projects funded by the company. Also recently, he has been awarded a British Heart Foundation project (2015~2018) and an EPSRC grant (2017~2020) in this area, in collaboration with numerous national and international academic, industrial and clinical partners.
Prof Zhao has been teaching in the broad area of Mechanics and Dynamics across all levels (from foundation to MSc) since 2002. He has always been promoting a strong connection of theories, mathematics and laboratory activities, with highly positive feedbacks. He is currently supervising a large number of PhD students and RAs, who are producing research outcomes at a very high standard. In addition, he has been actively involved in a number of administration duties.
- BEng in Applied Mechanics, Xi’an Jiaotong University, China, 1988~1992.
- PhD of Engineering in Solid Mechanics, Xi’an Jiaotong University, China, 1992~1996.
- Royal Society - Leverhulme Trust Senior Research Fellowship, 10/2008-09/2009.
- Chartered Engineer, Institution of Mechanical Engineers (since 2016)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy of UK (since 2016)
Outline of main research interests:
- Mechanical performance of polymeric bioresorbable vascular scaffolds.
- Computational modelling of stent biomechanics and its design.
- Fracture, fatigue and creep of advanced materials.
- Dislocation, crystal plasticity and cyclic viscoplasticity models for metallic materials.
- Oxidation-assisted fatigue and creep crack initiation and propagation.
- Multi-scale material model (discrete dislocation, crystal plasticity and continuum plasticity).
- Mechanical behaviour of biodegradable polymers for stent application.
- Residual stress and its effect on failure in polymer composites.
- Thermal shock stress and fracture.
Grants and contracts:
- 2018-2020 Royal Society - Cryogenic ultrasonic impact treatment for surface nanotwinning of metal alloys, £12k, as Principal Investigator.
- 2017-2020 EPSRC - Smart peripheral stents for the lower extremity - design, manufacturing and evaluation, £320k, as Principal and Lead Investigator (total program value of £780k, with University of Birmingham and Manchester Metropolitan University).
- 2016-2018 Royal Society - Evaluating the biomechanical performance of additively manufactured endovascular scaffolds, £12k, as Principal Investigator.
- 2016-2017 Abbott Vascular of USA - Computational analysis of mechanical stress-strain interaction of an implant with blood vessel (2nd research project), £21k, as Principal Investigator.
- 2015-2018 British Heart Foundation - Towards controlling the mechanical performance of polymeric bioresorbable vascular scaffold during biodegradation, £104k, as Principal Investigator.
- 2014-2018 EPSRC - Dislocation-microstructure interaction at a crack tip - in search of a driving force for short crack growth, £402k, as Principal and Lead Investigator (total program value of £1.07 million, jointly with University of Manchester and University of Southampton).
- 2015-2016 Abbott Vascular of USA - Computational analysis of mechanical stress-strain interaction of an implant with blood vessel (1st research project), £15k, as Principal Investigator.
- 2013-2016 EPSRC - Oxidation damage at a crack tip and its significance in crack growth under fatigue-oxidation conditions, £244k, as Principal and Lead Investigator (total program value of £734k, jointly with Imperial College/University of Warwick and University of Southampton)
- 2014-2015 Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd of China - Stress relaxation-caused loosening of screw and bolted joints - testing, modeling and redesigning, £60k, as Principal Investigator.
- 2007-2010 EPSRC - A micro-mechanistic study of oxygen-diffusion-assisted crack growth in a polycrystalline nickel-based superalloy, £196k, as Principal Investigator.
- 2008-2009 Royal Society - Oxidation-accelerated fatigue crack growth in a nickel-based superalloy, as Principal Investigator.
- 2009 Royal Society - Conference Grant, £1.3k, as Principal Investigator.
- 2009 Royal Academy of Engineering - International Travel Grant £0.4k, as Principal Investigator.
- 2008 Royal Academy of Engineering - International Travel Grant £0.6k, as Principal Investigator.
Current teaching responsibilities:
- WSB404, Computer Aided Design, Manufacturing and Testing (CADMAT, 2nd year, part B)
- WSA100, Mechanics of Materials (1st year, part A)
- WSA101, Statics and Dynamics (1st year, part A)
- BEng/MEng/MSc individual projects
Current administrative responsibilities:
- Probationary advisor for new academics
- School open day duties, personal tutoring and tutor of placement students
- Organising and running the school research seminar
- QinetiQ & Rolls-Royce (1999~2002).
- Rolls-Royce & Cranfield University (2007~2010).
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology (2009~2011).
- Imperial College, University of Southampton, University of Warwick, Swansea University, E.On, Alstom, Dstl and NASA (2013~2016).
- University of Manchester, University of Southampton, Alstom, Rolls-Royce and dstl (2014~2108).
- Abbott Vascular USA & Lucideon UK (2015~2018).
- RWTH Aachen University Hospital (Germany) & The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft Institute for Laser Technology (Germany) (2016~2018).
- University of Birmingham, Manchester Metropolitan University, RWTH Aachen University Hospital (Germany), Abbott Vascular (USA), Johnson-Matthey, Lucideon, MTC and NIHR Trauma Management Healthcare Technology Co-operative (2017~2020).
External roles and appointments:
- Member of “Integrity of Biomedical and Biological Materials” Technical Committee of the European Structural Integrity Society (since 2017).
- Member of European Structural Integrity Society (since 2017).
- Member of Institute of Physics (2015-2018).
- Member of European Mechanics Society (2010~2015).
- Member of Institution of Engineering and Technology (2011~2016).
- Member of American Society for Metals (2008~2009).
- External PhD examiner: University of Nottingham (2013); Imperial College (2014); University of Nottingham (2016); University of Limerick (Ireland, 2016); Coventry University (2016); University of Birmingham (2017); University of Oxford (2017); University of Strathclyde (2018); University of Nottingham (2018); Hannover Medical School, Germany (2018); University of Leicester (2019); University of Nottingham (2019).
- Editorial Board Member for Vessel Plus.