Professor Keith Case BSc, PhD, FCIEHF, FBCS, CITP, CEng
Emeritus Professor of Computer Aided Engineering
- Wolfson Building
- Research publications
- Obtained a BSc in Production Engineering and Production Management at the University of Nottingham in 1971, followed in 1975 by a PhD also from the University of Nottingham. The PhD was titled ‘An anthopometric and biomechanical computer model of man’ and was some of the earliest work in the field now known as digital human modelling.
- From 1974 to 1981 was a Postgraduate Research Fellow at the University of Nottingham leading major Science Research Council funded projects concerned with digital human modelling and robot simulation. These resulted in the SAMMIE computer aided ergonomics system and the GRASP robot simulation system, both of which formed the basis of spin-out companies that are still active to this day.
- Joined the then Engineering Production Department at Loughborough University of Technology as a lecturer in 1980 and became professor in 1995.
Recipient of the Otto Edholm Award - one of the Ergonomics Society's most prestigious award 'to honour an individual or individuals who have made significant contributions to basic or applied research in ergonomics'. (The Ergonomics Society has since become the Institute for Ergonomics and Human Factors.)
Research Interests and Activities
- Computer Aided Design
- CAD/CAM Integration
- Virtual Manufacturing
- Knowledge-based Design for Manufacture
- Human modelling using CAD surface/solid modellers
- Inclusive Design (Design for All)
- Evolutionary Form Design
- Member of the Virtual Ergonomics Centre (Chalmers, Lund and Skovde Universities, Sweden).
- Commercialisation of Research: Recognised originator of the GRASP (robot simulation) and SAMMIE (human simulation) systems which are exploited worldwide by BYG Systems and SAMMIE CAD respectively.
Grants and Contracts
- A longitudinal study of social, intellectual, physical and emotional aspects of ageing in Malaysia 2013-2015 : University of Malaya funding as an international collaborator
- An Integrated Production Planning and Decision Analysis System for SMEs 2012-2015 : University Malaya High Impact Grant, UM.C/HIR/MOHE/ENG/35
- Enabling Competitive High Value Manufacturing via Right First Time Manufacturing using Intelligent Automation (Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Intelligent Automation) 2011-2016 : EPSRC funding of a major research centre
- Innovative Digital Manufacturing (IDM) Research Group - Infrastructure Support 2008-2012 : EPSRC/IMRC funding
- Collaboration through Interoperable Knowledge Systems (CIKS) 2008-2010 : EPSRC/IMRC funding
- International Conference on Manufacturing Research 2008-2010 : EPSRC funding to provide support to three annual international conferences
- Information Presentation to Reduce Internal Assembly Rejects 2008 : HEIF3 funding
- Business Driven Automation (BDA) 2007-2010 : EPSRC/IMRC funding
- User Needs and Accessibility in Transport for Sustainable Urban Environments 2007-2009 : EPSRC funding
- A Centre for Innovative Manufacturing and Construction 2006-2011 : EPSRC funding of major research centre
- MMA401 Product Design (Ergonomics and Visualisation)
- MMB400 Industrial Design
- MMB504 Application of Product Design
- MMC300 Computer Aided Design
- FYF252 Design and Manufacture of Consumer Products
- Yusop, M.S. Md., Mat, S., Ramli, F.R., Dullah, A.R., Khalil, S.N. and Case, K. (2018). Design of welding armrest based on ergonomics analysis: Case study at educational institution in Johor Bahru, Malaysia. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 13(1), 309-313.
- Mohamaddan, S., Fu, C.S., Rasit, A.H., Dawal, S.Z. and Case, K. (2017). Development of adjustable foot corrective device for clubfoot treatment. Pertanika Journal of Science and Technology, 25(S), 251-258.
- Mat, S., Case, K., Mohamaddan, S. and Goh, Y.M. (2017). A study of motivation and learning in Malaysian manufacturing industry. Production & Manufacturing Research, 5(1), 284-305. doi:10.1080/21693277.2017.1374892
- Brolin, A., Thorvald, P. and Case, K. (2017). Experimental study of cognitive aspects affecting human performance in manual assembly. Production and Manufacturing Research, 5(1), 141-163. doi:10.1080/21693277.2017.1374893
- Osman Zahid, M.N., Case, K. and Watts, D. (2017). Rapid process planning in CNC machining for rapid manufacturing applications. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research, 6(2), 118-121. http://dx.doi.org/10.18178/ijmerr.6.2.118-121
- Case, K., Marshall, R. and Summerskill, S.J. (2016). Digital human modelling over four decades. International Journal of the Digital Human, 1(2), 112-130. doi: 10.1504/IJDH.2016.077408
- Marshall, R., Summerskill, S.J., Case, K., Hussain, A., Gyi, D.E., Sims, R., Morris, A. and Barnes, J. (2016). Supporting a design driven approach to social inclusion and accessibility in transport. Journal of Social Inclusion, 4(3), 7-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.17645/si.v4i3.521
- Mohamaddan, S. and Case, K. (2016). Crowd simulation: A video observation and agent-based modelling approach. International Journal of the Digital Human, 1(3), 229-247. http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJDH.2016.10000735
- Lee, M., Case, K. and Marshall, R. (2016). Product lifecycle optimisation of car climate controls using analytical hierarchical process (AHP) analysis and a multi-objective grouping genetic algorithm (MOGGA). Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 11(1), 1-17.
- Hussain, A., Case, K., Marshall, R. and Summerskill, S. J. (2016). Joint mobility and inclusive design challenges. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 53, 67-79. doi: 10.1016/j.ergon.2015.10.001
- Case, K., Hussain, A., Marshall, R. and Summerskill, S. J. (2016). Using ergonomic risk assessment methods for designing inclusive work practices – a case study. Human Factors in Manufacturing & Service Industries, 26(3), 337-355. doi:10.1002/hfm.20650
Goh, Y. M. and Case, K. (2016). Advances in Manufacturing Technology XXX, the Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Conference on Manufacturing Research. Published as Volume 3 of Advances in Transdisciplinary Engineering, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: IOS Press.
Case, K. and Osborne, W. D. (2015). XIX Corps Camp Commandant. The Great War Diary of Colonel Alexander Weston Jarvis, Volume II The Western Front 1917-1919. Nottingham, UK: Salient Books.
Case, K. and Osborne, W. D. (2012). A Great War Sharpshooter. Volume I Norfolk, Egypt and Gallipoli, 1914-1916. Nottingham, UK: Salient Books.
- Case, K. and Osborne, W. D. (2010). A Boer War Sharpshooter. Nottingham, UK: Salient Books.
External Roles and Appointments
- Editorial board membership: International Journal of Production Research.
- Visiting Professor at University of Skovde, Sweden
- Member of the SAE Technical Committee on Human Modelling Standards.
- Vicde-Chair of the Consortium of UK Manufacturing and Engineering (COMEH)
- Member of Scientific Committee for many conferences, including the International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR)
- Regular referee for the International Journal of Production Research, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacture, Proceedings of the IMechE and others.
- External Examiner Ulster University 2017-
- External Examiner, Portsmouth University, 2017-2022.