Dr Kaddour Bouazza-Marouf BSc PhD FIMechE CEng
Reader in Mechatronics in Medicine
- BSc and PhD attained at Newcastle University, Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- Worked in the offshore oil industry for 10 years prior to joining Loughborough University in 1991 as Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering.
Research Interests and Activities
- Robotics, Control and Mechatronics, including:
- Robotic assistance in orthopaedic surgery
- Automatic evaluation of bone quality
- Design of fail-safe compact robotic devices
- Passive manipulators with automatic positioning
- Robotic/mechatronic assistance in emergency neurosurgical procedures
- General engineering/mechatronics in medicine applications
- Editorial board membership: The IFAC Journal of Mechatronics
- Professional affiliation: Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- International conferences: Co-Chair of ImechE Seminar onMechatronics in Medicine, Healthcare & Reahabilitation – Applications and Solutions – Loughborough 2003; National/International committee member of the International Conference on Climbing & Walking Robots (CLAWAR) London 2005, Brussels 2006, Singapore 2007, Coimbra (Portugal) 2008; MECHATRONICS 2006, Malvern (USA) 2006; and of the International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, IEEE/RSJ IROS 2007, San Diego (USA)
- Advisory roles: EPSRC College member; Committee Member of BSI AMT/00-/2: Robots for Manufacturing Environment, which mirrors the ISO TC184/SC2 Robots and Robotic Devices committee in relation to standadisation for mobile service robotics.
- Referee for Journal of Mechanism and Machine Theory, Journal of Mechatronics, and Journals from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Collaborative Research: Current examples include Mechatronic Assistance for Emergency Neurosurgical Procedures with Nottingham University Hospital; Mechatronic Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery with Glenfield Hospital (Leicester) and Castle Hill Hospital (East Yorkshire).
- 2003: IMechE best paper for the Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, Proceedings (Part I) for the paper “Fuzzy logic control for in-pipe mobile robotic system navigation”
- Control Engineering, Part B (Responsible Examiner)
- Robotics and Control, Part C (Responsible Examiner)
- Mechanisms and Robotics, MSc (Responsible Examiner)
- Industrial Training Placement (Responsible Examiner)