Dr Joseph Camm MEng DPhil CEng MIMechE
Research Associate in Optical Measurement
Joe Camm is a Research Associate in the Thermofluids research group. His work involves applying optical techniques and simulation to analyse thermofluid systems, including IC Engine combustion, fuel spray and exhaust aftertreatment.
He joined Loughborough in February 2018 as part of a project funded by the APC, in collaboration with Caterpillar. This project focussed on the extraction of high-quality flame natural luminosity and two-colour imaging from an endoscopically accessed heavy duty diesel engine, and facilitation of comparison to CFD modelling.
Previously, he was a Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Automotive Fuel Sprays at the Department of Engineering Science at the University of Oxford, investigating fuel spray and combustion and mainly engaged in developing a high pressure, high temperature shock tube for spray measurements. He received his DPhil from the Combustion & Engines group at the University of Oxford in 2016, with a thesis titled “Mixture Preparation and Injection Strategy in Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engines”.
He has acted as reviewer for SAE, JSAE, ASME conferences and papers, and for the journal Energy & Fuels.
- Characterizing sprays and two-phase flow via optical techniques
- Advanced spray and droplet modelling – 0-D and 3-D
- Non-ideal thermodynamics and transport property modelling
- Combustion imaging and diagnostics
- Particulate formation
Tutor and Lecturer for:
- B800 Thermodynamics 2
- C804 Energy Systems Analysis
- D902 Laser and Optical Measurement
- Zhou, Z.-F., Mohd Murad, S.H., Tian, J.-M., Camm, J., Stone, R.
Experimental investigation on heat transfer of n-pentane spray impingement on piston surface
(2018) Applied Thermal Engineering, 138, pp. 197-206.
- Fang, X., Ismail, R., Davy, M.H., Camm, J.
Numerical studies of combustion recession on ECN diesel Spray A
(2018) ASME 2018 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, ICEF 2018,
- Camm, J., Davy, M., Fang, X., Doherty, L., McGilvray, M., Foerster, F.
The Oxford Cold Driven Shock Tube (CDST) for Fuel Spray and Chemical Kinetics Research
(2018) SAE Technical Papers,
- Mohd Murad, S.H., Camm, J., Davy, M., Stone, R., Richardson, D.
Spray Behaviour and Particulate Matter Emissions with M15 Methanol/Gasoline Blends in a GDI Engine
(2016) SAE Technical Papers,
- Camm, J., Stone, R., Davy, M., Richardson, D.
The Effect of Non-Ideal Vapour-Liquid Equilibrium and Non-Ideal Liquid Diffusion on Multi-Component Droplet Evaporation for Gasoline Direct Injection Engines
(2015) SAE Technical Papers,