Professor Colin Garner FREng PhD, CEng, FIMechE
Professor of Applied Thermodynamics
- 2002 – present: Professor of Applied Thermodynamics in the Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering, Loughborough University, UK.
- Previously: Reader (1998-2002), Senior Lecturer (1997-1998), Lecturer (1989-1997) and Research Associate (1986-1989) in Department of Mechanical Engineering, Loughborough University.
- Industrial training: Sponsored by London Regional Transport. Employed in a wide variety of rail and bus engineering departments including engine development (1979-1986).
- University education: Loughborough University, Bachelor of Technology and Bachelor of Engineering, both First Class Honours Degrees in Mechanical Engineering (1979-1984).
Research Interests and Activities
Thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer and innovation techniques. Have held over 40 successful government and industrial grants for engine and powertrain system research including in-cylinder flow and combustion, fuel injection and advanced emissions control systems. Research has been featured in New Scientist and on BBC TV and radio. Have published over 120 peer reviewed papers and have six granted patents. Research has received several international prizes, including from the SAE and IMechE. Directly engaged with major international engine and vehicle companies and the Automotive Council. Technical Director of the Caterpillar Innovation and Research Centre at Loughborough University https://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/aae/research/irc/.
External Activities and Affiliations
- Non-Executive Director of Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC) UK Ltd. [www.apcuk.co.uk], a government-industry partnership supporting £1Billion of vehicle propulsion research and development projects across the UK.
- Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng)
- Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (FIMechE)
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (MSAE)
- Member of EPSRC Peer Review College
- Member of the UK Automotive Council R+D Workstream Committee
- Consultant to a range of clients, mainly in the automotive, power and energy industries
Selected Previous External Activities
- Editor-in-Chief of IMechE Proceedings Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering (2005-2017)
- Secretary, Vice-Chairman and Chairman of the national Universities' Internal Combustion Engines Group, UnICEG (1999-2008)
- Visiting Professor at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Engine Research Centre (2000)
- European Research Council Starting Grant Panel Member (2009-2014)
- Academic adviser to the Energy Technologies Institute (ETI) Heavy Duty Vehicle Strategy Action Group (2010-2018)
- Perkins Engines - www.perkins.com
- Caterpillar - www.cat.com
- Caterpillar Innovation and Research Centre at Loughborough University https://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/aae/research/irc/
- Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC) UK Ltd - www.apcuk.co.uk
- Royal Academy of Engineering - www.raeng.org.uk