Dr Ali Al-Yacoub BSc, MSc, PhD
Research Associate in Digital Whole System Modelling
Ali achieved his BSc in Engineering at Hashemite University, Jordan in 2008 and was awarded a Master’s degree in Automation and Control at the University of Kaiserslautern, Germany in 2013. He joined Loughborough University to study for his PhD in January 2014.
Ali has worked as a Research Assistant at Control System Group (LRS) and also as a Research Assistant for image understanding pattern recognitions at the IUPR Institute. Additionally, he has gained experience as an Instrumentation and Maintenance Engineer, as well as an R&D Engineer at Jordan Petroleum Refinery and as a Maintenance Engineer for factory equipment at Jordan Pipeline.
Ali was awarded his PhD in November 2018 and is currently working as a Research Associate within the Intelligent Automation Centre.
- Controlling manufacturing machinery
- Machine vision
- Model-based combination
Current research activity
- EPSRC DigiTOp: Human robot integration using set of contextual and psychological sensors
Past research activity:
- Zimmer, M, Al-Yacoub, A, Ferreira, P, Lohse, N (2019) (Accepted for publication) Understanding Human Decision-Making during Production Ramp-up using Natural Language Processing. In 17th International Conference on Industrial Informatics (IEEE-INDIN 2019), Helsinki-Espoo, Finland, 22-25 July.
- Zimmer, M, Al-Yacoub, A, Ferreira, P, Lohse N (2019) Trajectory Creation Towards Fast Skill Deployment in Plug-and-Produce Assembly Systems: A Gaussian-Mixture Model Approach. In 2nd UK Robotics and Autonomous Systems
Conference (UK-RAS 2019), Loughborough, UK, 24 January: 87-90.
- Zimmer, M, Ferreira, P, Anandan, P, Al-Yacoub, A, Lohse, N, Gentile, V (2019) (Accepted for publication) Towards a Decision-Support Framework for Reducing Ramp-up Effort in Plug-and-Produce Systems. In 2nd IEEE International Conference on Industrial Cyber-Physical Systems (ICPS2019), Taipei, Taiwan, 6-9 May.
- Elgeneidy, K, Al-Yacoub, A, Usman, Z, Lohse, N, Jackson, M, Wright, I (2018) Towards an Automated Masking Process – A Model-Based Approach, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture.
- Al-Yacoub, A, Lohse, N, Goh, YM, Usman, Z, Jackson, M (2016) Gravity Compensation using Parametric Regression, 16th International Conference on European Society for Precision Engineering & Nanotechnology (EUSPEN 2016), Nottingham, UK, 30 May-3 June.
- Al-Yacoub, A, Sharifzadeh, S, Lohse, N, Usman, Z, Goh, YM, Jackson, M (2016) Learning Industrial Robot Force/Torque Compensation: A Comparison of Support Vector and Random Forests Regression, The International Conference on Intelligent Systems and Robotics, Zurich, Switzerland, 5-7 October.
- Zhao, Y, Al-Yacoub, A, Goh, YM, Justham, L, Lohse, N, Jackson, M (2016) Human Assembly Skill Capture a Hidden Markov Model Analysis of Force and Torque Data in Peg-in-Hole Assembly, IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC 2016), Budapest, Hungary, 9-12 October.
- Bristol Robotics Lab
- Cranfield University
- Nottingham University
External roles and appointments:
- Organising committee of UKRAS2019: UK-RAS Conference on Embedded Intelligence (2019)