Research Associate working in the Photovoltaic Materials Deposition group at the CREST (Centre for Renewable Energy Systems Technology) within the department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering. Research areas include Cadmium Telluride microstructural and chemical characterization of the solar cells.
Current research activities focus on the characterization of novel sputtered CdTe and continued study of cadmium chloride effects on closed space sublimated CdTe in collaboration with Colorado State University.
Ali has a BSc in Materials Engineering from Loughborough (2007-2009) and started his PhD at CREST in 2009, continuing to a postdoc from 2012.
Microstructural, chemical and crystallographic properties of thin film solar cells including TEM, SEM. FIB, XRD, XPS, EDX, STEM, EBSD and SIMS
Ali's key research areas are:
- Microstructural characterisation of thin films
- Closed space sublimated CdTe
- Sputtered CdTe
- Transmission electron microscopy
- Transparent conducting oxide characterization
- A. Abbas, J.W. Bowers, B. Maniscalco, S. Moh, G.D West, P.N. Rowley, H.M Upadhyaya and J. M. Walls (2011). Characterization of Thin Film CdTe photovoltaic materials deposited by high plasma density magnetron sputtering. MRS Proceedings, 1323 , mrss11-1323-c06-08 doi:10.1557/opl.2011.835
- Abbas, A.; West, G.D.; Bowers, J.W.; Isherwood, P.; Kaminski, P.M.; Maniscalco, B.; Rowley, P.; Walls, J.M.; Barricklow, K.; Sampath, W.S.; Barth, K.L., "The Effect of Cadmium Chloride Treatment on Close-Spaced Sublimated Cadmium Telluride Thin-Film Solar Cells," Photovoltaics, IEEE Journal of , vol.PP, no.99, pp.1,6, 0
- J.M. Walls, A. Abbas, G. D. West, J.W. Bowers, P.J.M. Isherwood, P. M. Kaminski, B. Maniscalco, W.S. Sampath and K. L. Barth (2013). The Effect of Annealing Treatments on Close Spaced Sublimated Cadmium Telluride Thin Film Solar Cells. MRS Proceedings, 1493, pp 147-152. doi:10.1557/opl.2012.1704.
- A. Abbas, G.D. West, J.W. Bowers, P. M. Kaminski, B. Maniscalco, J.M. Walls, W.S. Sampath and K.L. Barth, (2013). “Cadmium Chloride Assisted Re-Crystallization of CdTe: The Effect of the Annealing Temperature” , submitted to the IEEE 2013 conference proceedings
- A. Abbas, B. Maniscalco, J.W. Bowers, G.D. West and J.M. Walls (2013). “Initiation of the cadmium chloride assisted re-crystallization process of magnetron sputtered thin film CdTe” , submitted to the IEEE 2013 conference proceedings