Materials & Measurement Research Theme
Advanced materials and measurement techniques enable the development of novel engineering and biomedical solutions.
The Research Theme undertakes multi-disciplinary research into the response of advanced engineering and bio-materials to various types of external loading and environmental conditions, using a combination of analytical, numerical and experimental techniques. It is also active in all areas of optics and laser technology, employing innovative techniques, developments and equipment: from high-power laser applications, manufacture of components, through to high-precision non-contact measurement of dynamic movements.
Among the research directions of this Theme are:
- Mechanics of deformation, damage and fracture, characterisation of microstructure and analysis of mechanical properties and performance of alloys, metals, polymers, composites and nanocomposites, ceramics and ultra-hard materials, nonwoven fabrics, biological and biomedical materials.
- Analysis and simulations of advanced and hybrid manufacturing processes, including high-power lasers, ultrasonics, electro-machining, additive and subtractive manufacturing, cold forming.
- Deformation, damage and fracture in extreme conditions: high temperatures and strain-rates.
- Multi-scale and multi-physics computational analysis of microstructured materials, manufacturing processes and biomedical applications; code development for advanced numerical schemes.
- Quantitative optical tomography and diagnostics; laser safety.
- Biomedical measurements and physiological monitoring in sports.
- Functional tissue-engineering bioreactors
- Tissue engineering of vascular grafts and heart valves
- Development of biohybrid lung and left ventricular assist devices
- Computational and in vitro assessment of haemodynamic function, durability and haemocompatibility of vascular grafts, stents and heart-valve prostheses
Our Research Opportunities
Our PhD students play a central role in our wide-ranging research activities, making vital contributions to the success of the research itself. Find out more about our current research opportunities.