My PhD work focuses on investigation of the relationships between teacher knowledge, student understanding of early algebra concepts and classroom resources.
I studied mathematics education in Turkey and worked as a secondary school maths teacher for two years. I also worked on some research projects in Turkey in which we investigated use of digital technologies (GeoGebra, Cabri 3D and graphic calculators) in mathematics classrooms. I got my master's degree in September, 2016 from Institute of Education (UCL) and my research was about the introduction of abstract idea of letters (x,y,z) in Year 6 curriculum materials.
- Mathematics teachers’ knowledge
- Teaching and learning early algebra
- Mathematics curriculum and teaching resources design
- Use of digital technologies in mathematics education
- Şimşek, E., Koru Yücekaya, G. (2014). The effect of the teaching by the dynamic geometry software on 6th grade elemantary school students’ spatial ability, Journal of Kırşehir Education Faculty, 15, 65-80.
- Şimşek, E., Şimşek, A., & Dündar, S. (2013). The investigation of high school 12th grade students’ geometric proof process, Journal of Research in Education and Teaching, 2, 43- 57.
- Şimşek, E. (2012). The Effect of Utilizing the Dynamic Geometry Software on 6Th Grade Elemantary School Students, their Academic Standings on Mathematics Lesson and their Spatial Ability. MA Thesis. Gazi University.