- 2014 - present: Visiting Professor, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Loughborough Uiversity;
- 2014 - present: Visiting Professor, Department of Mathematics, University of Exeter;
- 2002 - present: Honorary Research Fellow, Department of Mathematics, University College London;
- 2002 - 2004: Honorary Senior Research Fellow, School of Mathematics and Statistics, Monash University;
- 2001 - 2013: Director, Centre for Nonlinear Mathematics and Applications, Loughborough University;
- 2000 - 2013: Professor of Mathematical Sciences, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Loughborough University;
- 1994 - 2001: Honorary Visiting Professor, School of Mathematics, University of New South Wales;
- 1998 - 1999: Director of the Centre for Dynamical Meteorology and Oceanography, Monash University;
- 1992 - 1999: Professor of Applied Mathematics (Head from 1994-1997), Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Monash University;
- 1986 - 1992: Professor of Applied Mathematics, School of Mathematics, University of New South Wales;
- 1970 - 1985: Reader, Dept. of Mathematics, Univ. of Melbourne;
- 1965 - 1969: Snr. Lecturer, Dept. of Mathematics, Univ. of Melbourne;
- B.Sc.(Auckland, 1960), M.Sc.(1st Class, Auckland, 1961), Ph.D. (Cambridge, 1964).
Linear and nonlinear waves; solitary waves in fluids; fluid dynamics; geophysical fluid dynamics; theoretical physical oceanography; internal solitary waves.
Teaching opening 4 lectures of the MAGIC course on “Nonlinear Waves”
- Elected Fellow of the Australian Academy of Sciences, 1990.
- Awarded the Centenary Medal of Australia, 2002
- Awarded the ANZIAM Medal, 2004.
- Elected Fellow of the Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society, 2012
Member seven scientific societies, past chair Division of Applied Mathematics (Aust.Math.Soc.), past member Nat. Comm. Theor. Appl. Mech, member Nat. Comm. Climate Atmos. Sci., director 1988 Australian Applied Mathematics Conference, director 1991 IUTAM Symposium Breaking Waves, convenor session in 1997 IAMAS-IAPSO Symposium, convenor pre-nominated session in \Waves" at ICTAM 2000, organiser CISM Summer School on \Nonlinear Waves in Fluids"; 2005-06 Program Director of the SIAM Activity Group on Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures; organizer and director of CISM Summer School on Nonlinear Waves in Fluids, Udine,2004; co-director Workshop on Rogue Waves for ICMS (2005); co-director Workshop on Internal Solitary Waves (2008); principal lecturer at WHOI GFD Summer School on Nonlinear Waves" (2009) lecturer on Exponential Asymptotics" at Workshop on Asymptotic Methods, CISM Udine (2009); member EPSRC college; member scientific committee of many international meetings; external examiner and reviewer for several applied mathematics departments and chair positions.
Member of the editorial board for several journals:
Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics (2000-, Chief Editor, 2009-), Chaos (1998-), Studies in Applied Mathematics (1990-), Wave Motion (2004-), Geophysical and Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics(1994-), Canadian Applied Mathematics Quarterly (1991-), Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics (2001-), Int. J. of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences (2000-), Int. J. Nonlinear Modelling in Science and Engineering (2000-), Int. J. of Applied Mathematics and Engineering Sciences (2006-), Int. J. of Differential Equations and Applications (1999-).
Supervision of graduate students (currently two).