Dr Jane Clarke BSc, PhD, C.Chem, MRSC
Lecturer Polymer Science and Technology
Postgraduate (Taught) Admissions Tutor
Postgraduate(MSc) Projects Coordinator
Jane attained a BSc in Joint Chemistry and Geology at Bristol University and went on to study for a PhD in Physical Chemistry at University of Newcastle upon Tyne. She came to the Department of Materials at Loughborough University as a research assistant in 1988 becomming a research fellow in 1991 and lecturer in 2016.
- BSc, Bristol 1983,
- PhD, Newcastle-upon-Tyne 1987
- C.Chem, MRSC
Outline of main research interests:
- Relationships between mixing, processing, microstructure and properties of rubber compounds and thermoplastic elastomers
- Rubber recycling, particularly crumb in thermoplastic elastomers and with novel binding systems and blending techniques
- Polymer rheology in relation to processing, particularly viscoelastic effects
- Simulation of polymer flow in processing
- 3D printing of elastomeric materials
- Renewable fillers for rubber compounds, such as starch
- Renewable materials such as rubber toughened bioplastics
Grants and contracts:
- 3-D Jetting for Enhanced Functionality of Thermoset Elastomeric Composites, DSTL, 2012-2016
- Component development for improved MEA and stack stability (for PEM Hydrogen Fuel Cells), DTI, 2009-2012
- Rapemeal valorisation: improving the economics of biodiesel manufacture, DTI, 2006-2009
Current teaching responsibilities:
- DSA004 – Technology in Industrial Design
- DSB015 – Design and Manufacturing Technologies
- MPA202 – Experimentation and Practical Skills
- MPB202 – Polymer Processing and Application (DT)
- MPC012 – Polymer Engineering - Processing and Manufacture
- MPC013 – Polymers and Applications
- MMB700 – Sports Technology and Materials
- MPP508/608 – Rubber Compounding and Processing
- MPP502/602 – Polymer Science
- MPP010 – MSc Project
Current administrative responsibilities:
- Postgraduate (taught) Admissions tutor
- Postgraduate(MSc) Projects Coordinator
8 Journal and refereed conference papers have been published in the last 5 years:
- Mascia, L, Su, R, Clarke, J, Lou, Y, Mele, E (2017) Fibres from blends of epoxidized natural rubber and polylactic acid by the electrospinning process: Compatibilization and surface texture, European Polymer Journal, 87, pp.241-254, ISSN: 0014-3057. DOI: 10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2016.12.033.
- Lukic, M, Clarke, J, Tuck, C, Whittow, W, Wells, G (2016) Printability of elastomer latex for additive manufacturing or 3D printing, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 133(4), ISSN: 0021-8995. DOI: 10.1002/app.42931.
- Pehlivan-Davis, S, Clarke, J, Armour, S (2013) Comparison of accelerated aging of silicone rubber gasket material with aging in a fuel cell environment, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 129(3), pp.1446-1454, ISSN: 0021-8995. DOI: 10.1002/app.38837.
- Kamal, MM and Clarke, J (2013) Effect of starch loading on the properties of natural rubber compounds, Journal of Rubber Research, 16(1), pp.45-60, ISSN: 1511-1768.
- Thomas, NL, Clarke, J, McLauchlin, AR, Patrick, SG (2012) Oxo-degradable plastics: Degradation, environmental impact and recycling, Proceedings of Institution of Civil Engineers: Waste and Resource Management, 165(3), pp.133-140, ISSN: 1747-6526. DOI: 10.1680/warm.11.00014.
- Mazlina, MK, Ibrahim, I, Clarke, J (2010) Increasing the Interaction between Starch and the Rubber Matrix by Coupling Agent Addition, J. Rubb. Res, 13(3), pp.139-161.
External roles and appointments:
- Editorial board membership of the Journal of Rubber Research