Dr David Hitt BSc, PhD
David obtained a BSc in Chemical Engineering from Loughborough University of Technology in 1978 and a PhD in Metallurgy from Sheffield University In 1987. He joined IPTME Institute of Polymer Technology and Materials Engineering) at Loughborough, as Research Assistant in January 1989 and became a Research Fellow in 1991. He currently works part time within the Department.
- BSc in Chemical Engineering, Loughborough University of Technology, 1978
- PhD in Metallurgy, Sheffield University 1987
Institution of Mechanical Engineers - AM Strickland Prize 2011
Outline of main research interests:
Since commencement of part time employment, David's interest has been maintained in current developments relating to the processing and properties of PVC. In particular, additives for improving heat stability and smoke suppression, and also the use of Differential Scanning Calorimetry to characterise/analyse recycled PVC.
Current teaching responsibilities:
- MPC110/113 - UG Project Module
- MPC016 - LCMP Project Module
- MPP010 - MSc Project Module
- MPP233 - Science and Technology of PVC
- MPP504 - Polymer Process Engineering
- MPP505 - Plastics Processing Technology
Current administrative responsibilities:
- Manager of the Polymer Processing Plant
- Consultancy work in relation to the Polymer Processing Plant and PVC processing, properties and testing
- MPC016 LCMP Module
5 Journal and refereed conference papers have been published in the last 5 years:
- Gilbert, M, Ho, KC, Hitt. DJ, Vrsaljko, D, Assessment of PVC stabilisation using hydrotalcites - Raman spectroscopy and other techniques, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 98(8), pp.1537-1547, 2013. ISSN: 0141-3910. DOI: 10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2013.04.005.
- Haworth, B, Hopkinson, N, Hitt, D, Zhong, X, Shear viscosity measurements on Polyamide-12 polymers for laser sintering, Rapid Prototyping Journal, 19(1), pp.28-36, 2013. ISSN 1355-2546. DOI: 10.1108/13552541311292709.
- Hitt, DJ, Haworth, B, Hopkinson, N, Fracture mechanics approach to compare laser sintered parts and injection mouldings of nylon-12, Proceeding of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 225(9), pp.1663-1672, 2011. ISSN: 0954-4054. DOI: 10.1177/0954405411402141.
- Al-Dossary, A.K., Gilbert, M. and Hitt, D.J., “Evaluating PVC Degradation using UV and Raman Spectroscopies”, Advanced Materials Research, 83-86, 923-930, 2010. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.83-86.923.
- Hopkinson, N., Hitt, D.J., Haworth, B. and Gornet, T., “Repeatability, repeatability, repeatability: How does RM stand up to injection moulding?”, Paper given at TCT Live 2009 Conference on Additive Manufacturing, Coventry, October 2009.