Dr Derek Stephens
Programme Tutor BSc Information Management and
Interests and experience
Research areas cover enhancing business by the use of
competitive intelligence, the application of marketing techniques to information
services and products, and learning and teaching in information science,
for example the use of Computer Aided Learning (CAL) and Computer Assisted
Assessment (CAA). Teaching areas are Strategic
Planning, Competitive Intelligence and Marketing. Previously
an oil and gas exploration manager with a Fortune 500 global company in
Consultant on JISC
Web2 Rights 2007-2009.
Project Director, FDTL5 Project Library
and Information Management and Employability Skills (LIMES) £150,000
HEFCE funding - January 2005 for 2 years. Continuing activities in dissemination
and Communities of Practice (CoPs).
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Member, Editorial Board, for Journal of Computer Assisted
Chapter Head, Northern UK Society of Competitive Intelligence Professionals
Nominated by Loughborough University (2004) as its sole submission for
the UK's National Teaching Fellowship award in the Experience Practitioner
Reviewer for conferences such as the International Computer Assisted Assessment
Conference (2001-2008) and the Higher Education Academy Information and
Computing Sciences Conference (2004-2008).
Appointed (2007) Visiting Scholar University of Victoria
in Wellington, New Zealand.
- Stephens, D.P. (2010) An overview of where CI fits within the Knowledge Management (KM) and Information Management (IM) curriculum and practice, BCN Meeting Info 2010, Theme: Competitive Intelligence: new scopes, new trends, new tools, Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain, 28th May.
- Juhari, A.S. and Stephens, D.P. (2009) Taxonomy of CI Software Configurations: A Study on Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in Malaysia, SCIP09 Annual Conference, Society of competitive intelligence professionals, Chicago USA.
- Cleeve, M.L. and Stephens, D.P.(2008) National Library Websites: How do they Market The Library, Alexandria, 20(2), pp67-79.
- Juhari, A. and Stephens, D. (2007) Tracing the origins
of competitive intelligence throughout history, Journal of Competitive
Intelligence and Management, 3(4), 61-82.
- Stephens, D.P. (2007) Creating multimedia teaching materials for an entire subject discipline, ED-MEDIA . World conference on educational multimedia, hypermedia and telecommunications, Vancouver, Canada. pp. 171-187.
- Wenham, K., Stephens, D.P. and Hardy, R.L., (2003)
The marketing effectiveness of UK environmental charity websites compared
to best practice, International Journal of Non-Profit and Voluntary
Sector Marketing, 8(3), pp. 213-223.
- Bexon, M., Stephens, D.P. and Pritchett, C., (2002)
Competitive intelligence: a career opportunity for the information professional
in industry, Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 34(4),
Tel: +44 (0) 1509 223080
Fax: +44 (0) 1509 223053