Dr Tao Chen
I am a Lecturer (equivalent to U.S. Assistant Professor) in Computer Science, at the Department of Computer Science, Loughborough University, UK. I am also an Honorary Research Fellow at the School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham, UK. Before the current position, I was a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Computing and Technology, Nottingham Trent University, UK. Prior to that, I worked as a Research Fellow in two EPSRC projects (DAASE and ECDONE) at the School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham, where I also received my Ph.D. in Computer Science.
My research has been on the intersection between Computational Intelligence (e.g., Natural Computation and certain aspects of Machine Learning etc) and Software Engineering, particularly related to fields such as Self-Adaptive Software Systems, Search-Based Software Engineering and Intelligent Performance Engineering. As the lead author, my research work has been published in prestigious peer-reviewed journals such as ACM TOSEM, IEEE TSE, IEEE TSC, ACM CSUR, IEEE Computer, Elsevier IST and Elsevier INS, as well as many top conference in the field.
I am fortunate to be able to supervise some of the excellent students:
- 2017-present: (PhD) Satish Kumar, Evolutionary Multi-Tenanted Service Composition at SaaS (co-supervised with Dr. Rami Bahsoon)
- 2016-2019: (PhD) Dalia Sobhy, Economic and Machine Learning Driven Self-Adaptive Architecture Diversity in IoT (co-supervised with Dr. Rami Bahsoon and Dr. Leandro Minku)
- 2018: (MSc) Min Duc Chong, Comparative Study of Machine Learning Algorithms for Software Performance Prediction in the Cloud (Nottingham Trent University)
- 2018: (MSc) Evan Harvely, On the Termination Criteria of Evolutionary Search-Based Algorithms for Cloud Resources Management (Nottingham Trent University)
- 2017: (MSc) Taiyang Guo, Cloud Instance Selection using Parallel K-Mean Clustering and Hadoop (University of Birmingham)
- 2016: (MSc) Marcus Chon Kit Ng, Multi Populations with Dynamic Diversity Levels for Dynamic Optimization (University of Birmingham)
I am currently looking for highly-motivated and excellent PhD students to work with me on one of my research fields. Please feel free to drop me an email for discussing potential research topics and funding opportunities before applying.
I have broad research interests on Software Engineering, including but not limited to:
- Performance Engineering
- Search-Based Software Engineering
- Self-* Software Systems
- Computational Intelligence
- Services Computing
- Cloud Computing
Below are some of my recent publications over the past 5 years (+ denotes the student I (co-)supervise)
- T. Chen, M. Li and X. Yao. Standing on the Shoulders of Giants: Seeding Search-based Multi-Objective Optimization with Prior Knowledge for Software Service Composition. Elsevier Information and Software Technology, vol. 114, 2019.
- T. Chen, K. Li, R. Bahsoon and X. Yao. FEMOSAA: Feature Guided and Knee Driven Multi-Objective Optimization for Self-Adaptive Software.ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology, vol. 27, no. 2, 2018. (The most frequently downloaded article for TOSEM according to the usage statistics in Aug 2018)
- T. Chen, R. Bahsoon and X. Yao. A Survey and Taxonomy of Self-Aware and Self-Adaptive Cloud Autoscaling Systems. ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 51, no. 3, 2018.
- T. Chen and R. Bahsoon. Self-Adaptive and Online QoS Modeling for Cloud-Based Software Services. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 43, no. 5, 2017. (The 5th most frequently downloaded article for TSE according to the usage statistics in May 2017; 2nd in June; 3rd in July; top 50 thereafter)
- T. Chen and R. Bahsoon. Self-Adaptive Trade-off Decision Making for Autoscaling Cloud-Based Services. IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, vol. 10, no. 4, 2017. (Top 50 most frequently downloaded article for TSC according to the usage statistics in Aug 2017)
- T. Chen. All Versus One: An Empirical Comparison on Retrained and Incremental Machine Learning for Modeling Performance of Adaptable Software. The 14th International Symposium on Software Engineering for Adaptive and Self-Managing Systems, SEAMS in conjunction with the 41st International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), Montreal, Canada, 2019.
- M. Liu+, K. Li and T. Chen. Security Testing of Web Applications: A Search-Based Approach for Detecting SQL Injection Vulnerabilities. The 21st ACM International Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2019), Prague, Czech, 2019.
- S. Kumar+, R.Bahsoon, T. Chen, K. Li and R. Buyya. Multi-Tenant Cloud Service Composition using Evolutionary Optimization. The 24th IEEE International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS 2018), Singapore. 2018.
- T. Chen, M. Li, and X. Yao. On the Effects of Seeding Strategies: A Case for Search-based Multi-Objective Service Composition. The 20th ACM International Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2018), Kyoto, Japan. 2018.
- M. Li, T. Chen and X. Yao. A Critical Review of A Practical Guide to Select Quality Indicators for Assessing Pareto-Based Search Algorithms in Search-Based Software Engineering: Essay on Quality Indicator Selection for SBSE. The 40th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2018), NIER Track, Gothenburg, Sweden. 2018.
- T. Chen, R. Bahsoon, S. Wang and X. Yao. To Adapt or Not to Adapt? Technical Debt and Learning Driven Self-Adaptation for Managing Runtime Performance. The 9th ACM/SPEC International Conference on Performance Engineering (ICPE 2018), Berlin, Germany. 2018.
- T. Chen, R. Bahsoon and X. Yao. Online QoS Modeling in the Cloud: A Hybrid and Adaptive Multi-Learners Approach. The 7th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC2014), London, UK. 2014.
I have worked/leaded the following projects:
- Principal Investigator, Automatic Profiler for Adaptive IoT Software Systems (Internship), funded by RAISE, 2019.
- Theme Leader, Dynamic Adaptive Automated Software Engineering (DAASE), EP/J017515/01, funded by EPSRC, 2012-2019.
- Co-Principal Investigator, Ecology Inspired Self-Aware Autoscaling Supporting Elastic Cloud-Based Services, funded by Ramsay Research Funding Schema from School of Computer Science at University of Birmingham, 2015-2016.
- WP Leader, Engineering Proprioception in Computing Systems (EPiCS), FP7-ICT-2009-5, funded by European Union 7th Framework Programme, 2010-2014.
- Researcher, Least Cost Fulfilment, funded by EPSRC KTS (Knowledge Transfer Secondments), 2013
I served/serving as a Program Committee member for the following conference (selected):
- IEEE/ACM International Conference on Software Engineering, Artifacts Track, 2019
- IEEE International Congress on Internet of Things Services, 2019
- International Conference on Cognitive Computing, 2019
- International Conference on Cognitive Computing, 2018
- IEEE International Congress on Internet of Things, 2018
- IEEE World Congress on Services, 2018
- Student Research Competition, ACM SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing, 2018
- Cooperative Systems Track, ACM SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing, 2017
- IEEE World Congress on Services, 2017
- S2 International Conference on Internet of Things, 2016
- IEEE Services, Emerging Track: Big Data Software Engineering for Cloud, Edge Computing and Mobility, 2016
- IEEE International Conference on Services Computing, 2015
- European Conference on Software Architecture, 2015
- IEEE International Conference on Services Computing, 2014
I also served/serving as regular reviewer for the following journals:
- IEEE Transactions on Services Computing (TSC)
- IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE)
- ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM)
- ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR)
- IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation (TEVC)
- IEEE Software
- Journal of Systems and Software (JSS)
- Elsevier Information Sciences (INS)
- Elsevier Future Generation Computer Systems (FGCS)
I am currently in the Editorial Board for:
- Services Transactions on Internet of Things (STIOT)