Jadeen worked at Knoll Pharmaceuticals and AstraZeneca as a medicinal chemist for 12 years after her degree. As well as being in the lab synthesising organic drug molecules she was also the school liaison officer for the department at AZ. After a year at the Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition Jadeen moved to the university as a technician for the synthetic lab. Thoroughly enjoying the interaction with the students and being able to advise best technique and good lab practise she now relishes her role as a Technical Tutor in Synthetic Chemistry. She runs a very busy lab but is mainly focused on giving the students the best experience possible.
- Teach synthetic chemistry techniques to undergraduate and taught postgraduate students
- Ensure the safety of everyone working within the laboratory, including ensuring all appropriate paperwork is in place prior to sessions commencing.
- Work with the Synthetic Laboratory Technician and Lab Assistant to provide a laboratory that is safe, well stocked, in good working order, and more importantly is free of contamination.
- Work with the Technician to prepare the laboratory for the teaching sessions, as each 3 or 4 hour session has different requirements, including preparation of solutions, chemicals and equipment.
- Manage the Synthetic Laboratory Technician and Lab Assistant
- Place orders for all chemicals and consumables for the Synthetic Lab, whilst managing the laboratory budget.
- Clean, maintain and calibrate (where necessary) all instruments and kit within the laboratory.
- Organise the starter kits for the new intake of students, including their personal protective equipment.
- Am the main contact for STEMLab waste listing and for the removal of the waste.
- Run demonstrations for applicant visit days and university open days.
- Organise work experience weeks for A level students
- Work with the other Chemistry Technical Tutors to allocate teaching sessions to our Chemistry postgraduate students as demonstrators
- Keep up to date with all Health and Safety training including first aid.
- Work with the academics to improve the experiments within the modules to provide the best student experience.