Dr Goran Vladisavljevic BSc, MSc, PhD
Senior Lecturer in Chemical Engineering
Goran graduated summa cum laude from the Department of Food Technology and Biochemistry of the University of Belgrade in 1987. He obtained his MSc (1992) and PhD (1997) degrees in chemical engineering from the University of Belgrade, where he worked as a Full-Time Teaching Fellow (1987-1997), Assistant Professor (1997-2004), Associate Professor (2004-2006), and Visiting Professor (from 2007).
He was awarded a Research Fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation to work on crossflow membrane emulsification at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology from 2000 to 2002 and then moved to Japan from 2002 to 2003 to take up a JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship at Miyazaki Prefectural Industrial Technology Centre. He worked at Leeds University with the Royal Society Fellowship on rotating membrane emulsification in 2004 and received a Fulbright Scholarship, working on functional emulsions with nano-laminated droplets at the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 2005. He was awarded an Invitation JSPS Fellowship and worked on step microfluidic emulsification in silicon microchips at the National Food Research Institute in Japan in 2006, he worked on centrifugal microfluidic emulsification in the Department of Microsystems Engineering at the University of Freiburg and on glass capillary microfluidics in the Experimental Soft Condensed Matter Group at Harvard University. He was also awarded a UK-JSPS Bridge Fellowship in recognition of his excellent achievements towards Japan-UK academic collaboration in 2013.
Goran became a Lecturer in the Department of Chemical Engineering at Loughborough University in 2006 and Senior Lecturer in 2010.
- UK-JSPS Bridge Fellowship, JSPS Office, London, 2013 - 2014.
- Teaching Innovation Award, Teaching Centre, Loughborough University, 2010.
- Advances in Colloid and Interface Most Cited Paper Award, Elsevier, 2004 – 2007.
- Invitation JSPS Fellowship, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Tokyo, 2006.
- Fulbright Fellowship, Fulbright Scholar Program, Washington, 2005.
- Royal Society Fellowship, Royal Society, London, 2004.
- JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Tokyo, 2002 - 2003.
- Humboldt Research Fellowship, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, 2002 - 2002.
- Scholarship from the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts, 1986 – 1988.
Outline of main research interests:
- Droplet microfluidics and membrane emulsification
- Droplet generation processes using microporous membranes and microfluidic devices, such as silicon microchannel arrays, coaxial glass capillaries, and PDMS devices.
- Functional microparticles, microencapsulation, controlled release
- Microfluidic and membrane emulsification methods for generation of smart functional microparticles and microcapsules with tuneable size and morphology. Application areas: core-shell capsules from photocurable polymers for gas capture and sensing, biodegradable polymer particles for drug-coated balloons, pH-responsive microgels for encapsulation of bacteriophages, Janus particles, magnetic particles, surface-patterned particles decorated with surface dimples and patches.
- Antisolvent nanoprecipitation / crystallisation
- Microfluidic and membrane nanoprecipitation methods for fabrication of micro- and nano-particles such as metal nanoparticles, liposomes, micelles, micro- and nano-crystals, and polymer-inorganic hybrid nanoparticles. Applications areas: Encapsulation and controlled release of bioactive materials and bacteriophages, fabrication of crystal seeds.
- Carbon capture
- Synthesis and characterisation of porous polymeric materials for post-combustion carbon capture.
- Membrane separation processes - Membrane-based solvent extraction, ultrafiltration and microfiltration, membrane-based bas absorption and stripping.
Grants and contracts:
- Novel cost-effective portable microfluidic platform: Self-optimised plug-and-play screening/production, EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account, 2019 — 2020.
- Novel low-cost microfluidic platform for the next-generation manufacturing of designer droplets and capsules for sensing and screening applications, EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account, 2018 — 2019.
- Microfluidic generation of water-in-oil emulsions for synthetic biology applications, funded by OxSyBio, Oxford, University Enterprise Limited project 8930.
- Production of drug-loaded biodegradable coating for novel drug-eluting balloons, National Productivity Investment Fund (NPIF), co-funded by Med-Alliance Switzerland, 2017 — 2021.
- Production of uniform silica gel particles for purification of insulin, funded by Novo Nordisk Pharmatech A/S, Loughborough University Enterprise Limited project 8205, 2017.
- Production of molecularly imprinted polymer particles for CO2 capture, funded by Cambridge Engineering Analysis & Design (CEAD), University Enterprise Limited project 7969, 2016.
- Combined energy recovery & CO2 removal, Innovate UK, 2015 — 2016.
- Encapsulation of sirolimus in poly(dl-lactide-co-glycolide) (PDLG) microspheres using microfluidic channel (MC) array device, Phases 1-4, funded by Med-Alliance, Switzerland, Loughborough University Enterprise Limited projects 7360, 7687, 7977, 8375, 2015 — 2017.
- Formulated products by membrane emulsification, Knowledge Transfer Account, in collaboration with Micropore Technology Ltd, 2011 — 2012.
- Brain Gain Programme, World University Service (WUS) Austria, 2010 — 2011.
- Microfluidic methods for production of core/shell capsules using synthetic biodegradable polymers, EPSRC, EP/HO29923/1, 2010 — 2012.
Current Teaching Responsibilities:
- CGC034/CGC051 – Transfer Processes (Responsible Examiner)
- CGC059/CGC959 – Data Analysis (Responsible Examiner
- CGP068 – Applied Engineering Practice (Responsible Examiner)
- CGB921/CGB021 – Food Engineering
- CGC053/28 – Process Economics and Design Optimisation
- CGP077 – Dru Delivery and Targeting
- CGD045 – Individual Process Design Project
- CGD046 – Team Process Design Project
- CGC033 – Research Project
- CGC037 – Literature Review
- CGC002 – Professional Development Project
- CGP056 – MSc Project
Current Administrative Responsibilities:
- CGP056 – MSc Project
- Co-leader of Particle Microfluidics Group
- Vladisavljević, G.T. and Williams, R.A. (2005): “Recent developments in manufacturing emulsions and particulate products using membranes”. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science 113, No. 1, 1–20. Cited > 380.
- Vladisavljević, G.T., Kobayashi, I. and Nakajima, M. (2012): “Production of uniform droplets using membrane, microchannel and microfluidic emulsification devices”. Microfluidics and Nanofluidics 13, No. 1, 151–178. Cited > 278.
- Vladisavljević, G.T., Khalid, N., Neves, M.A., Kuroiwa, T. and Nakajima, M. (2013): “Industrial lab-on-a-chip: Design, applications and scale-up for drug discovery and delivery”. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 65, No. 11-12, 1626-1663. Cited > 206.
- Vladisavljević, G.T. and Schubert, H. (2003): “Influence of process parameters on droplet size distribution in SPG membrane emulsification and stability of prepared emulsion droplets”. Journal of Membrane Science 225, No. 1–2, 15–23. Cited > 178.
- Vladisavljević, G.T., Shimizu, M. and Nakashima, T. (2004): “Preparation of monodisperse multiple emulsions at high production rates by multi-stage premix membrane emulsification”. Journal of Membrane Science 244, No. 1–2, 97–106. Cited > 157.
- Fayemiwo, K.A., Chiarasumran, N., Nabavi, S.A., Manović, V., Benyahia, B. and Vladisavljević, G.T. (2020): “CO2 capture performance and environmental impact of copolymers of ethylene glycol dimethacrylate with acrylamide, methacrylamide and triallylamine”. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 8, article ID: 103536.
- Al nuumani, R., Vladisavljević, G.T., Kasprzak, M. and Wolf, B. (2020): “In-vitro oral digestion of monodispersed W/O/W food emulsions loaded with concentrated sucrose solution designed to enhance sweetness perception”. Journal of Food Engineering 267, article ID: 109701.
- Fayemiwo, K.A., Chiarasumran, N., Nabavi, S.A., Loponov, K.N., Manović, V., Benyahia, B. and Vladisavljević, G.T. (2019): “Eco-friendly fabrication of highly selective amide-based polymer for CO2 capture”. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 58, 18160-18167.
- Vladisavljević, G.T. (2019): “Preparation of microemulsions and nanoemulsions by membrane emulsification”. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 579, article 123709.
- Bandulasena, M.V., Vladisavljević, G.T. and Benyahia, B. (2019): “Versatile reconfigurable glass capillary microfluidic devices with Lego® inspired blocks for drop generation and micromixing”. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 542, 23-32.
- Bandulasena, M.V., Vladisavljević, G.T. and Benyahia, B. (2019): “Droplet-based microfluidic method for robust preparation of gold nanoparticles in axisymmetric flow focusing device”. Chemical Engineering Science 195, 657-664.
- Al nuumani, R., Bolognesi, G. and Vladisavljević, G.T. (2018): “Microfluidic production of poly(1,6-hexanediol diacrylate)-based polymer microspheres and bifunctional microcapsules with embedded TiO2 nanoparticles”. Langmuir 34, No. 39, 11822-11831.
- Cinquerrui, S., Mancuso, F., Vladisavljević, G.T., Bakker, S.E. and Malik, D.J. (2018): “Nanoencapsulation of bacteriophages in liposomes prepared using microfluidic hydrodynamic flow focusing”. Frontiers in Microbiology 9, article 2172.
- Fayemiwo, K.A., Vladisavljević, G.T., Benyahia, B., Nabavi, S.A., Hanak, D.P., Loponov, K.N. and Manović, V. (2018): “Synthesis of nitrogen-rich hyper-crosslinked polymers for low-pressure CO2 capture”. Chemical Engineering Journal 334, 2004-2013.
- Vladisavljević, G.T., Ekanem, E.E., Zhang, Z., Khalid, N., Kobayashi, I. and Nakajima, M. (2018): “Long-term stability of droplet production by microchannel (step) emulsification in microfluidic silicon chips with large number of terraced microchannels”. Chemical Engineering Journal 333, 380-391.
- M.A. Med-Alliance, Switzerland (drug-eluting balloons)
- Dolomite (high-throughput microfluidic emulsification)
- EP. Tech. Co. Ltd, Hitachi, Japan (silicon microchips)
- Cambridge Engineering Analysis & Design (polymer particles for carbon capture)
- Novo Nordisk Pharmatech A/S (silica particles)
- OxSyBio and Revenant Bio (synthetic biology)
- Micropore Technologies Ltd (membrane emulsification)
- SPG Technologies Co., Ltd (membrane emulsification)
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Institute of Food Process Engineering (Germany), Prof. Helmar Schubert and Prof. Heike Schuchmann, Membrane emulsification.
- Miyazaki Prefectural Industrial Technology Center, SPG Research Laboratory (Japan), Dr Tadao Nakashima and Dr Masataka Shimizu, Membrane emulsification.
- National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO), National Food Research Institute, Tsukuba (Japan), Prof. Mitsutoshi Nakajima and Dr Isao Kobayashi, Step (Microchannel) emulsification.
- Freiburg University, Department of Microsystems Engineering (IMTEK), Laboratory for MEMS Applications (Germany), Prof. Roland Zengerle, Centrigufal microfluidic devices.
- Harvard University, Experimental Soft Condensed Matter Group (U.S.A.), Prof. David Weitz, Glass microcapillary microfluidics.
- University of Belgrade, Department of Food Technology and Biochemistry (Serbia), Prof. Predrag Vukosavljević, Microfiltration and ultrafiltration of fruit juices.
- Vinča Institute of Nuclear Sciences, Laboratory of Physics (Serbia), Dr Tatjana Trtić-Petrović and Dr Ksenija Kumrić, Separation of radiopharmaceuticals.
- Seville University (Spain), Prof. José Muñoz, grant “Assessment of the microchannel homogenization technique for the preparation and characterization of essential oil submicron particles”, CTQ2015-70700-P.
- Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Laboratoire d’Automatique et de Génie des Procédés (LAGEP) (France), Dr Catherine Charcosset, Encapsulation of vitamin E in liposomes and polymeric micelles.
- Queen Mary University London (UK), Dr Stoyan Smoukov, Magnetic Janus particles.
External roles and appointments:
- External Examiner for the subject area Chemical and Energy Engineering at London South Bank University, 2019-2023.
- Guest Editor of the Molecules journal for the special Issue "Droplet Microfluidics: A Tool for Biology, Chemistry and Materials Engineering", 2020.
- Principal Research Fellow, Vinča Institute of Nuclear Sciences, Belgrade, appointed by the Ministry of Science and Technological Development, Serbia, Appointment No: 06-00-69/1148, from 2010.
- Visiting Professor, University of Belgrade, appointed by the University Senate, Appointment No: 150-20/XIV-6.4, from 2007.
- External Examiner for PhD degrees for Birmingham University (2020), ETH Zurich (2018), London South Bank University (2018), Lyon University (2013 and 2018), Leeds University (2010 and 2017), King’s College London (2015), University of the Arts London (2010), Wageningen University (2009), and University of Belgrade (2004).
- Proposal reviewer for the National Priorities Research Programs (NPRP) of the Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF), the Science Fund of the Republic of Serbia, the National Center of Science and Technology Evaluation of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Royal Society’s Newton International Fellowships, EPSRC, and the National Science Centre, Poland.