Placements and sponsorship
We offer industry placements on all of our courses within the School. These provide a valuable opportunity to gain work experience before graduating and many of our students have also been successful in securing permanent jobs with their placement employers post-graduation.
“Whenever a new graduate comes into whatever site they’re working on and they say they’re from Loughborough, there’s already an expectation that they’ve had a good grounding and that they are of a calibre that maybe other universities and institutions don’t have.”
Richard Bennet, Senior Quantity Surveyor at BFK Joint Venture
Our strong industry links mean we offer considerable support to help you secure placements with some of the world’s top civil engineering, architectural engineering, architecture and construction companies.
The placement year is optional but is strongly encouraged because of the many benefits it can provide. Most students go on their placement after the second year, but MEng students can opt to take it after their third year.
The Loughborough Construction Consortium provides a core of sponsoring organisations that offer excellent placement and sponsorship opportunities to our students, supplemented by extensive collaborating organisations across the wider construction sector.
Sponsorship will provide you with a bursary during your study, summer placement work for those who want it and a paid twelve-month placement with your sponsor company. In many cases, students are offered employment with their sponsor company after graduating and many are now in senior positions within these companies.
Key benefits of a placement
- Improved job prospects. A placement gives you real world experience that will help you stand out when applying for your first engineering job. Some placement students are offered a permanent job with their host company when they graduate.
- £17,000 – £22,000. All placements are fully salaried.
- Professional status. A year of industrial work experience can contribute towards achieving professional status.
- Develop professional skills. Time management, team working, presentation skills and project management are all developed on placement.
- Professional practice. Put the knowledge gained during your degree into practice in a working environment alongside professional engineers.
- Improved academic performance. Placement students often demonstrate an improved performance on return to their studies due to the additional experience and maturity they gave gained.
- Additional qualification. A Diploma in Industrial Studies (DIS) or a Diploma in Professional Studies (DPS) is awarded to students on successful completion of the placement.
Companies who have provided recent placements include
- Balfour Beatty
- British Airways
- DHL Aviation
- E C Harris
- Galliford Try
- Jaguar Land Rover
- Laing O’Rourke
- Lend Lease
- Morgan Sindall
- Mott MacDonald
- Network Rail
- Parson Brinkerhoff
- Sir Robert McAlpine
- Southern Water
- Taylor Woodrow
- Tony Gee
- Vinci Construction
- Walter Lilly
Help to find a placement
Our students are keenly sought after by high profile companies who know from past experience that Loughborough students are enthusiastic and equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to make a positive contribution to their organisation.
We have an Industrial Training Coordinator who gathers and supplies information about placement opportunities and advises students on what to expect from the placement experience. The placement process is overseen by the Department’s Placement Adminstrator and we make every effort to help our students secure placements which match their interests and ambitions.