Research and expertise
Specialisms include: law, contracts, litigation, mediation, adjudication, social value, BIM and claims.
Current research activity
- Independent research – adjudication in the construction industry
Recently completed research projects
- Innovating design information management for use on BIM projects
- Cartigny, T and Lord, WE Evaluating social value in the UK construction industry, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers – Management, Procurement and Law, Paper 1700051, ISSN: 1751-4304.
- Griffiths, RL, Lord, WE, Coggins, J (2017) Project Bank Accounts - The Second Wave of Security of Payment, Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction, ISSN: 1363-2175. DOI: 10.1108/JFMPC-04-2017-0011.
- Cartigny, T and Lord, W (2017) Defining social value in the UK construction industry, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Management, Procurement and Law, pp.1-8, ISSN: 1751-4304. DOI: 10.1680/jmapl.15.00056.
- Gibbs, DJ, Lord, W, Emmitt, S, Ruikar, K (2016) Interactive Exhibit to Assist with Understanding Project Delays, Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction, 9(1), ISSN: 1943-4162. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)LA.1943-4170.0000198.
- Gibbs, DJ, Lord, W, Emmitt, S, Ruikar, K (2015) BIM and construction contracts – CPC 2013’s approach, Proceedings of the institution of civil engineers - management, procurement and law, 168(6), pp.285-293, ISSN: 1751-4304.
- Gibbs, DJ, Lord, W, Emmitt, S, Ruikar, K (2015) Building Information Modelling, Construction Law Journal, 31(3), pp.167-179, ISSN: 0267-2359.
- Coggins, J and Lord, WE (2014) Construction insolvency: Examining the "supporting statement" requirement in New South Wales, Building and Construction Law Journal, 30(4), pp.224-237.
- Gibbs, DJ, Lord, W, Emmitt, S, Ruikar, K (2014) Building Information Modelling, Construction Law Journal, 31(3), pp.167-179, ISSN: 0267-2359.
- Gibbs, DJ, Emmitt, S, Ruikar, K, Lord, WE (2014) Recommendations on the Creation of Computer Generated Exhibits for Construction Delay Claims, Construction Law Journal, 30(4), pp.236-248.
I contribute to learning and teaching activities across the School’s programmes including:
- Legal and Economic Context of the Built Environment
- Construction Law
- Construction Contracts
- Final Year Research Project - Commercial Management and Quantity Surveying
- Part C Year Tutor – Commercial Management and Quantity Surveying
- Research Project Supervision
- Under construction
- Annual CMQS/CEM Alumni - Legal and Commercial CPD day
I graduated with an honours degree in civil engineering in the early 80's subsequently practising as a civil and structural designer with some of the major consultants and at a local authority. I became interested in the legal aspects of construction in and around the mid 90’s. Studied law at Nottingham Law School and was called to the Bar in 1999. I practised for a number of years within the construction team of a major international law firm before joining the School as Lecturer in 2007 on the Commercial Management and Quantity Surveying degree programme. I specialise in all the legal aspects of the construction industry whether that be the law generally, the contracts, claims or dispute resolution.
- Chartered member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE)
- Chartered member of the Institution of Structural Engineers (MIStructE)
- Chartered member of the Engineering Council (CEng)
- Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court
- General Council of the Bar (practising barrister)
- RICS Accredited mediator
- Coordinator of the In House construction Lawyers Forum (IHLF)
- ICE journal, Management, Procurement and Law – Editorial Panel
- External Examiner at University of Central Lancashire (UCLan)
- External PhD examiner – University of Strathclyde
My research and enterprise activities are conducted with a range of academic and stakeholder partners, including: