Research and expertise
- Kingfisher Project: Testing a range of Green Deal home energy products, including solid wall insulation, solar PV, solar thermal and home automation
- Porritt, S.M., Cropper, P.C., Shao, L., Goodier, C.I. (2013). Heat wave adaptations for UK dwellings and development of a retrofit toolkit. International Journal of Disaster Resilience in the Built Environment. ISSN: 1759-5908. DOI/10.1108/IJDRBE-08-2012-0026
- Porritt, S.M., Cropper, P.C., Shao, L., Goodier, C.I. (2012). Ranking of interventions to reduce dwelling overheating during heat waves. Energy and Buildings, ISSN: 0378-7788, Vol: 55, pp 16-27. DOI/10.1016/j.enbuild.2012.01.043
- Porritt, S.M., Cropper, P.C., Shao, L., Goodier, C.I. (2011). Adapting dwellings for heat waves. Sustainable Cities and Society, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp 81-90. DOI/10.1016/j.scs.2011.02.004
I have a first degree in physics, with a PhD in climate change adaptation. The PhD project investigated retrofit measures on dwellings, assessing both the effect on heating energy use and on overheating during a heat wave period. Adaptation cost was also included in the analysis and a retrofit toolkit was produced to allow comparison of retrofit measures on a range of dwelling types. The toolkit can be accessed at: http://www.extreme-weather-impacts.net/toolkit/
Broad interests and expertise
- Monitoring of buildings.
- Dynamic thermal modelling of buildings.
- Dwelling retrofit.
- Building energy use.
- Climate change adaptation of buildings.
- Member of the Institute of Physics.
- Affiliate member of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.