Research and expertise
I am a fully Qualified and Chartered Architect with an international work experience and a deep expertise in Structural Architecture.
Current research activity
- Sport and Architecture: Design and Athletes’ Performance
- The Olympic Games: Design and Legacy
- Pier Luigi Nervi: Art and Science of Construction
Recently completed research projects
2019 Application of LU adaptive comfort model in design and control of zero energy buildings (£33,501) - Mitsubishi Electric R&D Centre EUROPE BV (MERCE-UK) with Dr M. Eftekhari
I have produced a series of journal articles, articles and conference papers in my area of interest. I have been regularly invited to disseminate my findings in several national institutions across the World: Mexico, Italy, Switzerland, Poland, Spain and of course in the UK.
- 2019 Cresciani M., Giddings, B. 'The Dilemma of Saudi Arabian Homes in Riyadh' (submitted)
- 2017 Cresciani M., Brown L., 'Adaptable design in Olympic construction', International Journal of Building Pathology and Adaptation, Vol. 35 Issue: 4, pp.397-416. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJBPA-12-2016-0030
- 2016 Cresciani M., Brown L., 'Permanent and Temporary Constructions of the Summer Olympic Games: A Case study of Roma' International Symposium IASS 2016, Tokyo, Japan http://www.iass-structures.org/index.cfm/proceedings.index?pID=10
- 2014 Cresciani M., Forth J. 'Three Resilient Megastructures by Pier Luigi Nervi', International Journal of Architectural Heritage [Volume 8, Issue 1.] http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15583058.2012.669023
I contribute to learning and teaching activities across the Schools programmes including:
- Director of the Architectural Engineering (AE) Programme
- Studio Tutor for Design Studio A Architecture (CVA055)
- Lecturer and Design Tutor for Architectural Design and Detailing (CVC036)
- Director of International Development at Korea Institute of Ecological Architecture and Environment (KIEAE), Seoul, South Korea
- TU Eindhoven, Eindhoven - NL
- Università di Roma, Sapienza, Rome – Italy
- Politecnico di Torino, Turin – Italy
- Northumbria University, Newcastle Upon Tyne – UK
- Techniker Ltd, London, IT
- Space Syntax, Ltd, London, IT
- Officine Romane, Roma, IT
Born and educated in Rome in a family of architects, I joined a long established practice working on a series of projects from the re-use and reinterpretation of domestic dwellings, commercial projects and urban-scale infrastructures.
Upon my arrival in the UK, I practiced at ‘Sense of Space Architects’ acquiring the professional and managerial skills of this country.
After my PhD awarded by the University of Leeds, I developed a growing interest in the historical figures who pioneered the discipline of Architectural Engineering, and, consequently, my current research is in the design and legacy of large sport venues, with the specific focus on Olympic Buildings and Urban Master-planning.
I directed the Programme of Architectural Engineering at Leeds University for five years and then joined for eight years the Department of Architecture at Northumbria University in Newcastle as Programme Leader of the Bachelor and Master cohorts.