Research and expertise
3D printing in construction, automated & robotic construction, construction manufacturing
Summary of expertise
My research interests lie in 3D printing in construction, automated & robotic construction, and high-value construction manufacturing. My current research areas include: i) digital workflow and robotic control of hybrid (additive, subtractive etc.) manufacturing process for large-scale concrete components; and ii) system engineering management for large-scale additive manufacturing process. Up to now, I haved published nearly 10 journal articles, including 3 in the top-ranked international journal in the field of construction automation - Automation in Construction. I am now currently working as a post-doctoral research associate under Professor Richard Buswell to deliver two significant projects that will deliver the next generation of Hybrid 3D Concrete Printing processes. Prior to this, I obtained the PhD in Engineering Management (for 3D Concrete Printing) at Huazhong University of Science and Technology in China (2019).
Current research activity [undertaken since the last REF]
- EPSRC funded project: Manufacturing integrated building components using digital hybrid Concrete Printing (HCP) technology (EP/S031405/1)
- EPSRC funded project: Design-for-manufacture (DfM) of 3D concrete printed structural composites (EP/S019618/1)
Recently completed research projects
- National Science & Technology Pillar Program of China: Building Information Modelling - based digital collaborative innovation platform for the construction, operation, maintenance, and management of new-generation Science and Technology Museum (2015BAK33B04)
- HUST Independent Innovation Fund Project: Research on key technologies of 3D printing-based automated construction (2015TS119)
Refereed journal publications
- Xu, J., Ding, L., Cai, L., Zhang, L., Luo, H., & Qin, W. (2019). Volume-forming 3D concrete printing using a variable-size square nozzle. Automation in Construction, 104, 95-106.
- Xu, J., Ding, L., Luo, H., Chen, E. J., & Wei, L. (2019). Near real-time circular tunnel shield segment assembly quality inspection using point cloud data: A case study. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 91, 102998.
- Zhou, C., Chen, R., Xu, J., Ding, L., Luo, H., Fan, J., ... & Tang, B. (2019). In-situ construction method for lunar habitation: Chinese Super Mason. Automation in Construction, 104, 66-79.
- Xu, J., Ding, L., & Love, P. E. (2017). Digital reproduction of historical building ornamental components: From 3D scanning to 3D printing. Automation in Construction, 76, 85-96.
- Ding, L., & Xu, J. (2017). A review of metro construction in China: Organization, market, cost, safety and schedule. Frontiers of Engineering Management, 4(1), 4-19.
Refereed conference proceedings
- Xu, J., & Ding, L. (2018). Volume - forming 3D concrete printing using a variable - diameter square nozzle, Procedia Engineering, in Creative Construction Conference, CCC 2018, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 30 June - 3 July 2018.
I started my academic career in October 2019 after I got a doctoral degree from Huazhong University of Science and Technology in China. I am now currently working as a post-doctoral research associate under Professor Richard Buswell to deliver two significant projects that will deliver the next generation of Hybrid 3D Concrete Printing processes.
- Loughborough University
- Committee of 100 (US) Leadership Scholars Award (Dec 2019)
- National Scholarship of China for PhD students (2017)
- Joint PhD Student Scholarship of China Scholarship Council (2017)