Dr Yanling Li BEng, MSc, PhD
Research Associate in the Rolls-Royce UTC in Combustion System Aerothermal Processes.
- Computational study of compressor instabilities (large scale simulations) and turbine case cooling system.
- Research Assistant, Thermo-Fluid Mechanics Research Centre, University of Sussex, September 2008 – December 2008.
- Associate Tutor, Thermo-Fluid Mechanics Research Centre, University of Sussex, October 2008 – December 2008.
- PhD Candidate, Thermo-Fluid Mechanics Research Centre, University of Sussex, October 2009 – February 2014.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Engineering and Design, University of Sussex, October 2009 – September 2012.
- Part-Time Tutorial Fellow, Department of Engineering and Design, University of Sussex, October 2012 – September 2013.
- BEng in Engineering, Guangxi University, 2007.
- MSc in Advanced Mechanical Engineering, University of Sussex, 2008.
- PhD in Engineering, ‘Numerical simulations of rotating stall in axial flow compressors’, University of Sussex, 2014.
Outline main research interests
Numerical study of compressor steady and unsteady aerodynamics. For compressor steady aerodynamics, that includes shock waves in transonic compressors, secondary flow and tip leakage flow at axisymmetric operating condition. For compressor unsteady aerodynamics, that includes rotating stall and surge which require large scale unsteady simulations.
Turbine case cooling aerodynamics refers to the impingement cooling of turbine case using upstream flow to control tip clearance inside turbines. It is a well-adapted method to design more efficient modern gas turbine engines. The capability of predicting the aerodynamics in TCC systems using CFD at design stage is essential.
- Compressor Steady and Unsteady Aerodynamics
- Turbine Case Cooling (TCC) Aerodynamics
- Aerodynamics in gas turbines in general and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Modelling Capability for Air Flow within Turbine Case Cooling (TCC) Systems.
External roles and responsibilities
- Reviewer of a paper for a journal - Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science.