Professor Rui Chen BEng, PhD, CEng, FIMechE
Professor of Low Carbon Engineering
- Professor of Low Carbon Engineering, Loughborough University, 2009-now
- Senior Lecturer, Loughborough University, 2006-2009
- Lecturer, Loughborough University 1999-2006
- Research Associate, Loughborough University,1997-1999
- Research Assistant, University of Birmingham, 1990-1993
- Development Engineer, Chinese National Heavy Truck Company, 1985-1990
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) 2007-now
- Fellow of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (FIMechE) 2007-now.
Key awards and Accomplishments
- IMechE PE Publishing Award (Best paper of J of Power and Energy) 2006.
- One of 25 most-cited articles (Int J of Thermal Sciences) in 2002 to 2005
Outline of main research interests
- Thermo sciences:
- Combustion chemical kinetics and homogeneous charge compression ignition combustion;
- Fast aircraft environment control system analysis and system engineering;
- Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel cell (PEMFC) modelling, 1D, Lattice-Boltzmann, CFD;
- Electric Impedance Spectrum (EIS) diagnostics;
- Compact hydrogen storage using sodium borohydride;
- Alternative fuels: natural gas, bio-diesel, methanol and ethanol;
- Zero constraint free piston energy converter
- Real-world duty cycle for hybrid powertrain optimisation
- Hybrid Vehicles and Advanced Propulsion
Current teaching responsibilities
- TTB110 - Internal Combustion Engines
- TTD101 - Vehicle Energy Technology
- TTP301 - Vehicle and Powertrain Functional Performance
- TTP401 - Sustainable Vehicle Powertrains
External roles and appointments
- Adjunct professor, Tianjin University, China, 2009 – 2012.
- Member of International Advisory Committee, Chinese State Key Laboratory of Engines (SKLE)
- University of Glamorgan, MSc Renewable Energy and Resource Management, 2009 – 2013.
- University of Lincoln, BEng & MEng Mechanical Engineering, 2010-2014.
- University of Sussex, Aerospace Technology MSc, Mechanical Engineering MSc, Advanced Mechanical Engineering MSc, 2010-2014.
- PhD, Imperial College London, 2005.
- PhD, Brunel University, 2008.
- PhD, University of Newcastle, 2009
- PhD, University of Birmingham, 2009