Arts WeekBook now
Join us for an exciting and diverse programme of online events celebrating the creative arts at Loughborough University!
From 22-28 June, we'll be showcasing the university’s creative community with a range of different online events taking place in the form of interviews, creative workshops, informative discussions, presentations, readings and quizzes.
As well as academics from Loughborough’s School of Design and Creative Arts, you can also hear from the University’s inspiring students, gain insight from prominent artists and even uncover the art of wrestling!
All members of the Loughborough community and beyond are welcome to take part.
Other content, such as vlogs by final year Creative Arts students and a podcast by Andrew Dix on Loughborough’s cinema history will be available to download for free throughout the week from our website and social media channels. A recording of the final year Drama students radio play Mystery at Morton Hall will also be available to download; this performance will have its first airing on Friday 12 June at 7pm via Facebook.
The full programme is as follows:
- 22 June, 6pm: Jacqueline Donachie in conversation with Craig Richardson
Award-winning Scottish artist Jacqueline Donachie discusses the development of her art practice with Craig Richardons, Professor of Fine Art at Loughborough University.
- 23 June, 6pm: Textiles and Technology
A live discursive event exploring current research activities within the field of textiles and technology.
- 23 June, 8pm: An evening of readings with by English and Creative Writing students at Loughborough University
- This reading will feature work from final-year undergraduates, MA student and PhD researchers. Expect a mix of poetry and fiction, from the Korean folk-tales to British lighthouses.
- 24 June, 6pm: Alternative living research through textiles
A live discursive event exploring current research activities within the field of textiles and alternative living.
- 24 June, 8pm: Literary Lockdown: The pub quiz without the pub
Literature-themed pub quiz.
- 25 June, 6pm: Syncopated Saucepans
Percussion workshop and discussion with the Politicised Practice Research Group, David Stickman Higgins and Salomé Veogelin.
- 26 June, 6pm: Queer Craft: Sexuality, Textiles and Art Practice
A live talk and open discussion looking at the intersections between queerness and craft with Daniel Fountain, particularly in relation to fine art and textile practice.
- 27 June, 11am: Snap(lands) and Mother)scapes
Family art workshop with Penny Davis and Anna Makrzanowska using a playful interactive game, smart phone and window glass.
- 27 June, 1pm: Bookmaking workshop
Learn to make your own books at home using simple materials!
- 27 June, 8pm: Saturday Night’s Main Event: Storytelling and Professional Wrestling
Explore the weird and wonderful world of professional wrestling storytelling with Dr Claire Warden and Sam West.
- 28 June, 1pm: Hammer dyeing workshop
Have a go at this dyeing technique using plant materials.
- 28 June, 4pm: Observational plant drawing workshop
Join us for a live workshop and learn how to create an observational plant drawing.
An 'in conversation' event, exploring many of the issues at the heart of Radar's Risk Related programme with disasters researcher Ksenia Chmutina and curator Francesca Cavallo.