Renewables: Water Power
Date to be confirmed
Please note that if you wish to register for assessment in this module you must complete your booking in early September. However if you do not wish to take assessment in this module then booking of at least 3 weeks prior module start date is required.
This course introduces hydro power in its conventional form as well as in the form of wave and tidal power, and the fundamental concepts of water turbines, wave energy devices and tidal power schemes.
This course covers the following areas:
- knowledge of the characteristics underpinning the resource for the different water-powered renewables, e.g. hydro-power, tidal power and wave power
- understanding of the hydrodynamic laws underpinning the operation of water-powered technologies
- understanding of how the different water-powered technologies work
- knowledge of the economics of different water-powered technologies
- knowledge of the environmental impact of certain water-powered technologies.
On completion, students should be able to
- calculate the expected resource for a particular water-powered scheme;
- calculate the expected performance of a water-powered generator;
- design and specify the necessary components for water-powered schemes;
- evaluate the economics of a water-powered scheme given appropriate background data.
This module is a component of the MSc in Renewable Energy Systems Technology.
- Course code
- Electronic, Electrical and Systems Engineering
- Two weeks
- Course leader
- Professor Simon Watson
- CREST - Centre for Renewable Energy Systems Technology
- Places available
- Target audience
- Graduate engineers and technical managers.
- Previous experience
- Graduate engineers or those with appropriate industrial experience.
- Course fee
- Please email Ms Jo Mason
- Accommodation costs
- Not included
- Accommodation information
- A variety of on and off campus accommodation to suit different budgets is available from imago, our conference and events service. Go to www.welcometoimago.com
Cancellations: in the event of cancellation by the delegate, an administration fee of £250.00 for each student place is levied. Cancellations must be received at least 10 working days prior to the start of the course. We regret that no refund of course fees can be made for cancellations received after this date.
To apply for a refund you must inform us, in writing, and provide written evidence of the original payment as refunds will only be paid to the account from where it originated.
The University also reserves the right to make reasonable alterations to the content of the course. In the event of cancellation by the University, fees will be refunded in full. It does not accept liability for costs incurred by delegates or their organisations for cancellation of travel arrangements and/or accommodation.
© 2018 Loughborough University. All rights reserved.