Support during your studies
The University's central learning resource the Pilkington Library has recently benefited from a multi-million pound refurbishment. The Library aims to provide a complete range of services to support and enhance student learning, including:
- 24/7 opening during revision and exam periods
- over 9,000m2 of space with around 700,000 volumes, DVDs and CDs
- over 100 databases and 30,000 electronic journals
- over 1,300 study spaces, wireless networking and 140 PCs
The Library has over 80 staff and we provide a complete information and enquiry service and teach you how to make the best possible use of the wide range of resources available.
There are many different study spaces including 20 group study rooms, silent study areas, individual study areas and also a flexible study space with PCs, tables, chairs and whiteboards, where students are able to work in groups, use laptops/mobile phones, and have cold food and drinks.
Loughborough University has wide ranging expertise in IT provision, deployed for the benefit of its students. Our services include software tools, online learning and teaching
facilities, groupware and access to the Internet and email.
Our facilities include open-access computer suites across campus which:
- are usually open 24/7
- contain workstations for email and web-based services
- have state-of-the-art applications, and learning/teaching software
Our wireless network operates throughout the University to provide internet access from over 10,000 locations on campus, including study bedrooms in all University-managed halls of residence.
The Hall Network Service, known as HallNet, provides students who have their own computers access to the University network and the wider Internet.
Careers and Employability Centre
The Careers and Employability Centre (CEC) provides a wide range of services for all
postgraduates. Our resources, tailored to help you to expand your skills and prepare
for your next career move, include:
- advisers with experience in working with postgraduates, offering a range of workshops on topics such as career planning and management, writing effective CVs and preparing for interviews in both academia and in the public and commercial sectors
- bespoke employer events for postgraduate students
- individual career consultations
- ready access to quick advice appointments
- a dedicated section on the CEC website for postgraduates
- a vacancy database with thousands of vacancies targeted at Loughborough students and graduates
- annual recruitment fairs, which are among the largest in the UK
- an extensive programme of employer presentations
- advice on networking and contact information for Loughborough alumni
Our graduates are very highly regarded by employers, and the ‘High Fliers Graduate Market in 2014’ annual review listed us as the 14th most targeted university by employers.
Further details on where our graduates are employed can be found on our website.
Mathematics Learning Support Centre
The Centre is open to anyone who feels they might benefit from additional help with mathematics and statistics. Students can access help by taking advantage of one or
more of the following facilities:
- two superb resource centres with private/group study areas
- mathematics: drop-in surgeries available four hours a day
- statistics: drop-in surgeries/free advisory service
- extensive paper/computer-based resources
- Eureka Centre for mathematical confidence