The University has around 12,800 undergraduate and 3,000 postgraduate taught students (full and part-time), as well as a number of further education, exchange and temporary students. We have an in-house bespoke Student Information System known as LUSI (Loughborough University Student Information system). All documents relating to central student records are held in an electronic document management system (File Director).
As well as the following business areas, a key member of our team is responsible for the transfer, maintenance and enhancement of web-based resources including websites, web applications and contributions to the design of corporate systems. This enables a user focussed approach and content covers the whole Academic Registry (not just the Student Office). Another senior member of the Student Office co-ordinates student education systems development projects (see end of section).
- General maintenance of Student Records (programme transfers/leave of absence/withdrawal, registration of students for reassessment modules, logging Impaired Performance claims etc).
- New students’ Registration Events including management of online registration processes allowing students to confirm and update their personal details, arranging for students to retrieve IT Credentials, creating files for ID cards, and distributing ID cards.
- Coordinating annual online re-registration and provision of online self-service facilities for maintaining personal details.
- Provision of advice and guidance to Schools on Academic Regulations including waivers.
- General advice/counter service for letter production/general enquiries.
- Timetabling the examinations (Semester 1/Semester 2/SAP). Approximately 76,000 examination student exam seats in each academic year.
- Managing the three central examinations venues (Main venue, Extra-Time Venue (ETV) and Central Computer Venue (CCV)). Includes recruiting/training/paying invigilators.
- Coordinating checking and printing of all Examination Scripts (actual printing done by Creative and Print Services).
- Ceremony preparation and management (student, staff).
- Honorary Degrees/University Medallists.
- Liaising with external companies (eg robemakers/photographers).
- Administration of undergraduate student Bursaries and Scholarships including Loughborough Scholarship Programme – includes contributions to Access Agreement monitoring.
- Student Loans Company Processes (Attendance Confirmation Reports (ACR) and release of tuition fees to University).
- Tuition Fees setting processes and preparing Student Tuition Fee Billing.
- US Federal Loans administration.
- Administering the Hardship Fund.
- Taking card and cash payments for Tuition and Accommodation fees, plus miscellaneous student charges.
UK Visas and Immigration Compliance
- Issuing CAS (continuing students (visa extensions)).
- Visa Expiry Date monitoring and visa scanning.
- Reporting Students to UKVI.
- Policy and compliance oversight and co-ordination.
- Oversight of taught student attendance monitoring processes.
- HESA Student return.
- Initial Teacher Training (ITT) return.
- Key Information Sets (KIS) return.
- Individualised Learner Return (ILR) preparation for funding claims (we have a Foundation Art & Design programme which attracts FE funding).
- Aggregate Offshore Returns (AOR).
What we don’t do (and who does):
- HESES (Planning); HESA Finance (Finance); HESA Staff (HR).
Formal Committee Responsibilities:
- Assistant Secretary to Council
- Secretary to Information Technology and Governance Committee
- Secretary to Academic Misconduct Committee
- Secretary to Prizes Committee
- Secretary to Tuition Fees Sub-Committee
- Secretary to Student Disciplinary Appeals Committee
- Secretary to Honorary Degrees and University Medal Committee
- Secretary to Information Governance Sub-committee
Student Office staff members have responsibility for central University advice and compliance relating to:
- Data Protection
- Freedom of Information
- Information security policy development
Student Education Systems Projects
Working closely with colleagues in IT Services Student Office staff are responsible for the on-going management of Student Education Systems IT projects. These projects aim to embed the most effective processes (often reviewed with Change Team involvement) and practices within the University's IT systems. Consultation with colleagues (in Professional Services and Academic Schools), communication and coordination are key elements required to achieve these aims.
Example projects include:
- Online registration, re-registration and student self-service
- PG and UG Electronic Admissions Systems (EAS), including eConfirmation and eClearing
- International agent commission reporting
- Industrial placements system
- Research student enhancements
- Online Module Choice (MOCS)
- Student Customer Relationship Management (SCRM)
- IP Marks Modeller