Research Student Office
The University has 1144 active registered research students, with around a further 300 students in an examination, writing up or suspended status.
We provide an admissions service to Schools and applicants in relation to research degree programmes , which includes processing applications; implementing School decisions and issuing offers to applicants in accordance with the University’s admissions policy. providing We also provide a support service to applicants to facilitate their arrival at the University, including the production of CAS to support visa applications; issuing funding award letters on behalf of Research Councils, the Graduate School and other sponsors.
The Office works closely with a network of academic and support staff in Schools to provide this service.
Registration and Re-Registration
The Office oversees the registration and re-registration of research students on the 4 annual intake dates thereby ensuring that the University’s student record in relation to research students is up to date and accurate to inform the HESA and other external statistical returns. Requests for leave of absence, extensions of time and withdrawals are processed by the Office once approved. The Office also prepares the data and initiates the tuition fee billing process in relation to research students on a monthly basis.
Research Degree Examinations
Following approval by the Dean of the Graduate School and academic School staff, the Office appoints Examiners for research degree submissions and sends out theses for examination. Once the examination has been conducted and reports submitted the Examiners’ decisions are reviewed within the office and processed in LUSI.
Research Studentship Administration
The Office manages the monthly research studentships payroll of £779k per month and the monthly payment of PGCE bursaries of £79k per month. We also maintain the accuracy of research student data on JeS for all Research Councils and act as the institutional contact point for all Research Councils in relation to research students.
- Manages all research student appeals and misconduct hearings.
- Develops through Research Committee continuous improvements to research policy in relation to research students, develops collaborative programmes; develops improvements to processes in conjunction with IT Services.
- Works alongside the Graduate School to support improvements to quality assurance procedures through review visits to Schools and oversight of the appointment of Examiners, PhD extension requests and similar matters.
- Works alongside colleagues in the Research Office to provide, for example, student data for annual Research Council Financial Expenditure Statements and degree award data for the REF; to works alongside colleagues in Planning and the Student Office with respect to HESA and other data management requirements
- Provides a central source of expert advice for staff, students and external contacts on all aspects of research degree management, and policy and University regulations.
- Services and supports the University Ethics Commitee