This guide aims to provide you with information about the Library’s resources and services relevant to Newspapers and Broadcast Media.
Use the tabs above to find information about:
- Current newspapers
- Archive newspapers
- Broadcast media
Before you start remember to download the VPN from IT Services to gain seamless off-campus access.
If this guide does not provide you with the information that you need then please contact your Academic Librarian.
Mouse on Newspaper CC Licensed Image from Alberto Garcia on flickr.com
The Library subscribes to the following current print newspapers which are kept in the Cafe area on day of publication and transferred to the serials area on Level 2 afterwards – check the Catalogue for back issue availability:
Daily Telegraph, Financial Times, Guardian, Independent, Loughborough Echo, Suddeutsche Zeitung, Sunday Times, Times, Times Literary Supplement, Times Educational Supplement, Times Higher Education, Zeit
The major online current newspaper provider is Nexis
- Nexis UK which provides thousands of full-text regional, national and international newspapers. No images, photos, tables, however – just text. UK coverage begins approx. 1985 onwards. International coverage varies. You will need your Athens username and password for both on and off-campus access.
Other subscriptions to current online newspapers include:
- The Financial Times - is available to all though readers will need to register at https://registration.ft.com/corporate/signup/RiNT5lheiE9St
- Daily Mirror
Free online newspapers
There are many newspapers available for free on the Internet. Some, like the Guardian - offer near complete full-text service. Others, like the Daily Mail - offer news articles which may differ from those written for the print version. If you use an online newspaper source be sure to cite the online version rather than the print.
All of the archival newspapers listed below are full-text with graphics, photos, tables and other non-text as originally published. Some newspapers - such as the Independent, Mail, Mirror, and Times - allow you to browse an issue making them useful for content analysis
- Daily Mail, 1896-2004
- Daily Mirror, 1903-Current
- Guardian and Observer, 1791-2003
- Independent, 1986-2012
- New York Times, 1851-2009
- Picture Post, 1938-1957
- Sunday Times Digital Archive, 1822-2006
- The Times Digital Archive, 1785-2009
British Newspapers, 1600-1950 is comprised of the 17th to 18th Century Burney Collection and 19th Century British Newspapers with over 3 million articles from national and local newspapers
- BoB - Box of Broadcasts:
BoB is an off-air recording and media archive service. To access type ‘Lou’ into the drop-down institution menu, select ‘Loughborough University, and click ‘Go to login’. You’ll then be prompted to type in your standard University account details.
- British Pathe Newsreel
- British Universities Film and Video Council provides links to Television and Radio (including a link to BoB mentioned above), Moving Image Gateway, News on Screen, Archives and Footage and Shakespeare on film and television. Login using your Athens details:
- Filmakers Library Online award-winning documentaries in social sciences, history, psychology, science and engineering, health and more.
- ITN Source provides news clips dating back to 1896. Some free content, previews but others for purchase only
ABYZ News Links - is a comprehensive linking service to not only the world’s newspapers but also to other broadcasting services.