University Username and Password
Your University username and password (also referred to as your Active Directory username and password) is the one that you use to login to your email, lab machines, eduroam (wireless networking) and other University services.
You should have been given your University username and password when you started your course, but if you have forgotten it you can get it again in person at the Enquiry Services desk in the Library (you will be required to show your Student ID card as proof of identity).
Athens username and password
Many databases require an Athens usernames and passwords for authentication. To obtain your Athens username and password visit the Library and ask at the Information and Enquires desk. You will be required to show your Staff/Student ID card as proof of identity.
Students may also retrieve their Athens username and password from Learn via the Athens link in 'Student Resources'.
Staff may also contact IT Services to obtain their Athens username and password.
We regret that we are unable to email usernames and passwords.
Please note that users of Athens authenticated resources are expected to abide by the Athens general terms of service.
To change your Athens password to something more memorable, follow the steps below:
- go to the Athens website
- click on MyAthens
- you will be prompted for your existing username/password
- you will be taken to a webpage listing all Athens-authenticated services to which you have access; at the top of this page is an option to Change your password. Click on this and follow the instructions.
Athens authenticated databases include services hosted by EDINA, MIMAS, OCLC FirstSearch, and the Cambridge Scientific Abstracts Illumina service as well as Emerald and ESDU. Full details of coverage and access information for each database can be found in the select databases feature of Library Catalogue Plus.
A selection of Athens authenticated titles include:
- Aids and Cancer Research Abstracts
- Aluminium Industry Abstracts
- Art Abstracts
- ARTbibliographies Modern
- ASFA: Aquatic Sciences and Fisheries Abstracts
- Beilstein CrossFire Service
- Biological Sciences
- Biology Digest
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering Abstracts
- Ceramic Abstracts/World Ceramics Abstracts
- Cochrane Library
- Communication Abstracts
- Computer and Information Systems Abstracts
- Conference Papers Index
- Copper Data Center Database
- Corrosion Abstracts
- Criminal Justice Abstracts
- Electronics and Communications Abstracts
- Emerald Intelligence & Fulltext
- Engineering Materials Abstracts
- Environmental Routenet
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management
- ESDU Data Reports
- Ingenta Journals
- ICEA (International Civil Engineering Abstracts)
- Internet & Personal Computing Abstracts
- ISI Web of Science
- ISI Journal of Citation Reports
- Linguistics and Language Behaviour Abstracts
- LISA: Library & Information Science Abstracts
- Materials Business File
- Mechanical Engineering Abstracts
- METADEX (Metals Abstracts)
- Microbiology Abstracts
- MLA Bibliography
- Oceanic Abstracts
- Plant Science
- Political Science & Governmet Abstracts
- Polymer Library
- Safety Science and Risk Abstracts
- Social Services Abstracts
- Sociological Abstracts
- Solid State and Superconductivity Abstracts
- Water Resources Abstracts
- Water Resources Routenet
- World Almanac
- World Cat
- ZETOC Alert
E-Journal publishers and providers
- Cambridge University Press
- Institute of Physics
- Oxford University Press
- Taylor & Francis
Off Campus Access
Some resources are only available if you are located on-campus. If you wish to access these resources from off-campus then you will need to install and use the University's Cisco AnyConnect VPN client. When using the VPN client your machine will appear to be on-campus to any resources you connect to.
You will require your University username and password to use the VPN Client.