Facts and figures
The Library, which was officially opened by Lord Pilkington on the 19th December 1980, was the successor to several other libraries that were used by the predecessor Colleges of the University. Our first ever library was opened in 1911, in one room of the building in Loughborough town that housed the original Loughborough Technical Institute. In 2013, the Library had a major refurbishment which included incorporating Level 4.
The Library covers 9,161 square metres over four floors with 1375 study places, including 250 workstations. It has over 500,000 books; 90,000 bound serials and access to approximately 30,000 e- journals. Its has 87 members of staff; 55 full-time equivalents (32 full-time; 55 part-time).
Other facts about the Library
- The most borrowed book is a copy of "Modern banking theory and practice" by Shelagh Hefferman, which has been borrowed over 2600 times
- Since 2003 the number of e-journals available has increased by over 500% (3754 in 2003 and 30,000 in 2015)
- In the 2014/15 academic year, the Library was visited 667,226 times (an average of 1828 visits per day)
- In 2001 the Library had 777 study spaces, this has grown to 1375 in 2015
- In the 2014/15 academic year, the Library had 120,075 enquiries
- Every PC in the Library (other than the short stay PCs) is CAD enabled (prior to the refurbishment we had 12 CAD PCs)
- Every individual study desk on L4 has plug sockets fitted