Help and Support
Removable Media Policy
1.1. The purpose of this policy is to minimise the loss, unauthorised disclosure, modification or removal of sensitive information maintained by Loughborough University.
2.1. This policy refers to all types of computer storage which are not physically fixed inside a computer and includes the following:
• Memory cards (like those used in cameras), USB pen drives etc;
• Removable or external hard disk drives;
• Newer Solid State (SSD) drives
• Mobile devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad, MP3 player);
• Optical disks i.e. DVD and CD;
• Floppy disks;
• Backup Tapes.
2.2. This policy also covers all data including:
• Research data;
• Teaching and learning data;
• Administration and management information data.
3. Classification of Data
For the purposes of this policy, data is going to be classified into different categories in line with the Data Protection Act (DPA).
3.1. Non-sensitive Data
Data whose inappropriate use would not adversely affect an individual, for example:
• Class lists (course and learner names only)
• Management information reports which do not identify individuals
• Any data which has been made a matter of public record
3.2. Sensitive Data
Sensitive data includes
• Any data identified by the Data Protection Act (1988) as personal sensitive data, specifically data relating to radical or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, membership of trade union organisations, physical or mental health, sexual list, offences or alleged offences.
• Data that if lost or stolen would be likely to cause damage or distress to one or more individuals. This includes, but is not limited to, human resources data and exam or assessment results, which are not a matter of public record.
• Any data, which may reasonably be expected to be considered sensitive, personal confidential or commercially confidential. For example, data or materials pertaining to existing or planned courses, which may be of interest to a competing organisation.
3.3. Highly Sensitive Data
• Data, which if used inappropriately may have a significant impact upon Loughborough University or an individual. In particular employee or student banking details or any other data that it is believed could be used for illegal purposes.