Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

International Student Advice and Support

Visa Advice

What will I need to pay?

There are various fees you will have to pay when applying for a visa:

  1. The application fee which currently costs £335 and is paid in your local currency.
  2.  If you are required to have a TB test, a separate test fee is charged which depends on location.
  3. The Immigration Health Surcharge.

 You will also have to show you can support yourself once you are in the UK. You will find more detail below:

Immigration health charge

From April 2015 UKVI has introduced an immigration health charge for most people applying for a visa for longer than 6 months.  The charge is based on the maximum length of visa that could be granted as follows:
For each part year less than 6 months  £75
For each year and each part year between 6 - 12 months £150

Nationals of Australia, New Zealand and British Overseas Territory Citizens (BOTCs) resident in the Falkland Islands are exempt.

Depending on the length and type of course Tier 4 permission may be issued for up to one month before studies commence and 4 months beyond the end of studies, for example:

Type of course

Length of studies on CAS

Length of visa Health charge
MSc 12 months Up to 17 months 150 + 75 = £225
BSc 2 years 9 months 3 years 2 months (3 x150) +75 = £525
PhD 4 years 4 years 5 months (4 x 150) + 75 = £675

The same fees and charges will also have to be paid for each family member applying for a dependant visa.

Funds required for application

You need to show you have enough money for any outstanding tuition fees as stated on your CAS plus living expenses which are calculated according to the Tier 4 policy guidance. If you are self-funding you need to have kept at least the required amount in your account throughout a 28-day period which ends no earlier than 31 days before your visa application

  • The visa decision will be based on what tuition fees are still to be paid according to the information on your CAS.  The fees for your main programme can be found on our Fees and Funding webpage, fees for pre-sessional courses can be found here.
  • The CAS only needs to state the tuition fees that are due within the first year of your studies, if your course is longer than one year you do not need to show you have the funds for the second or subsequent years.
  • If you are applying for a visa with a CAS that just covers an English language pre-sessional course, you only need to show that you have money for the tuition fees and living expenses for the length of the pre-sessional course. 
  • If you are applying for a visa to cover both an English language pre-sessional course and a degree, you need to show that you have money for the tuition fees and living expenses for both the pre-sessional course and the degree.
  • If you have been awarded a scholarship or bursary, this will be deducted from the tuition fees before they are specified on your CAS.  Otherwise a sponsor note can be added to the CAS to confirm the details.
  • If you have already paid some or all of your tuition fees, this can be noted on your CAS.  If you pay some or all of your tuition fees after your CAS is sent to you, please let the office that issued your CAS know and ask for the CAS to be updated.
  • The money you need to show for your living expenses depends on where you are studying and the length of your course but you never need to show more than 9 months living expenses. 
  • Most students studying at the main Loughborough campus will need to show £1,015 per month for up to 9 months (£9,135). 
  • If your main degree is to be taken at Loughborough University London (LUL) you will need to show £1,265 per month for up to 9 months (£11,385).
  • If you have paid the University for some or all of your accommodation charges, this can reduce the amount you need to show for your living expenses.  However, UKVI rules only allow us to record up to £1,265 as paid accommodation costs on your CAS, even if you have paid more.  

 The figures above are correct from April 2016. Further information can be found on the UKCISA website.

How to calculate maintenance requirement

Examples of how to calulate maintenance requirements: 

MSc Management programme

which costs £19,350:




If your CAS is for a pre-sessional

course and main degree: 

(e.g. course C and MSc Management studied at Loughborough)





MSc Digital Media Systems at

Loughborough University in London:




*the maintenance requirement in London is higher than that in Loughborough.

How to demonstrate you have the funds

Although the maintenance requirement is calculated in British Pounds your funds can be kept in another currency, UKVI convert any amount held in another currency using oanda.com. Most self–funding students will rely on providing a bank statement, which must include the following information:

  • The name of the account holder
  • The full account number
  • The date of the statement
  • The bank’s name and logo
  • Showing the required balance throughout, at least, a 28 day period
  • The amount of money available.

If you supply a statement printed from an online internet bank account, it will need to be stamped by the bank on every page.

If you are relying on funds in your parents’ bank account(s), you must supply an original birth certificate or other acceptable evidence that you are related, plus a letter from your parent(s) to confirm your relationship and that the money can be used to fund your studies.

For funds held in certain countries UKVI provide a list of which banks are acceptable for visa purposes, you should check the list here.

If you are funded by an ‘official financial sponsor’ as defined with the Tier 4 Policy Guidance you will need to provide a letter from your sponsor in the format set out within the Guidance.  If your sponsor is only paying for part of your costs, you will still need to provide bank statements to show you have the necessary funds for any outstanding fees and/or living expenses.

If you are a ‘low risk national’ as defined within the Tier 4 Policy Guidance you will have to declare that you have the required funds but you will not necessarily have to provide evidence of this.  It is recommended to have the evidence prepared in case it is requested.

The Student Advice and Support Service is authorised to provide immigration advice and services by an order made under section 84(4)(d) of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (The Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (Part V Exemption: Educational Institutions and Health Sector Bodies) Order 2001 (Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 1403)). Should you have a complaint about the service you can use the Student Advice and Support Service's complaints procedure or you can use the OISC Complaints Scheme.