Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

International Student Advice and Support

Visa Advice

What is the Entry Clearance Correction Scheme?

The scheme allows the university to ask the Home Office to correct certain errors in a student’s visa.  The most common mistake is where a student’s ‘visa’ is shorter than it should be, getting the visa corrected can avoid the student having to make an expensive application for a ’visa extension’.  Other errors include students or dependants not being given their full right to work or a Tier 4 student entry clearance not having the right reference number for studying at Loughborough University.

The scheme only applies to errors in entry clearances issued before traveling to the UK (e.g. visas), it does not apply to permission given in the UK by the UKVI (i.e. residence permits) or an Immigration Officer (i.e. ‘leave to enter’ stamps).

It does not matter when the entry clearance was issued, if it is still valid but contains a relevant error it can still be corrected.  If the Home Office agrees an error should be corrected this can be done in the UK, neither you nor your passport need to go back to the visa section.  The Entry Clearance Correction Scheme is free of charge.

What can be corrected?

Tier 4 (General) Student entry clearances

Under Tier 4 students should be granted entry clearance for the duration of the course as confirmed in your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), plus additional time as follows:

Type of course

Period of entry clearance to be granted after the course ends

12 months or more

4 months

6 months or more but less than 12 months

2 months

Pre-sessional course of less than 6 months

1 month

Course of less than 6 months that is not a pre-sessional course

7 days

Right to work

Tier 4 (General) students on degree level courses are restricted to employment of no more than 20 hours per week during term time.  Entry clearances issued for study below degree level restrict employment to no more than 10 hours per week during term-time.

Dependent partners of degree- level students, who hold 12 months or more immigration permission, should be granted an entry clearance with no prohibition or restriction on work (the visa should have no comments about work on it).  If the student is studying below degree level or has a visa for less than 12 months the partner’s entry clearance should confirm that no work is allowed.

Sponsor Licence number

A student’s entry clearance should confirm Loughborough University’s Tier 4 Sponsor Licence Number (SLN) i.e. G9M4TDXV1.  This denotes where you are allowed to study so it is important to be correct.

How do I use the Entry Clearance Correction scheme?

How do I use the Entry Clearance Correction Scheme (ECCS)?

If you think your entry clearance is wrong or you are not sure then make an appointment to see an adviser in the Bridgeman Building. You will need to bring your passport (and those of your family if relevant).  We will check whether the scheme applies.  If so we need to make a copy of your entry clearance and confirm your course dates.  We will then contact the Home Office on your behalf to query the errors.  

If we receive a reply that confirms your entry clearance can be corrected we will ask you to come in again with your passport and 2 passport sized photographs (if you are required to register with the police we will also need your registration certificate).  We will then be able to send them to the Home Office to be corrected for you.  

Do I have to pay a fee?

No, the Entry Clearance Correction Scheme is free.

How long will it take?

It is not possible to give an exact time but it is likely to take a matter of months rather than weeks for the whole process to be completed.  

My leave is about to expire.

My entry clearance will expire soon, if I use the ECCS do I still need to apply to extend my visa?

While you are waiting for a reply under the scheme you should make sure that your current permission does not expire without you applying to the UKVI for an extension of stay.  If you have to apply to extend your visa while you are waiting under the scheme and subsequently we receive a decision that your entry clearance could have been corrected instead we will advise you about obtaining a refund of the application fee.                                                             

The Student Advice and Support Service is authorised to provide immigration advice and services by an order made under section 84(4)(d) of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (The Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (Part V Exemption: Educational Institutions and Health Sector Bodies) Order 2001 (Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 1403)). Should you have a complaint about the service you can use the Student Advice and Support Service's complaints procedure or you can use the OISC Complaints Scheme.