Employing People Under the Age of 18
There may be occasions when a person under the age of 18 is required to undertake work for the University. There are clear rules about such employment and this document provides further information. Please note that children under the age of 16 are not permitted to be employed.
- They are not permitted to work more than 8 hours per day or more than 40 hours per week. (There is no opt out for this and the totals cannot be averaged out over a period of time)
- They must have a rest break of at least 30 minutes every four and a half hours
- They must have a 12 hour rest period between finishing work and commencing again
- They must have two days off per week
- They are not permitted to work between the hours of 10pm and 6am
All staff and students must comply with the Child Protection Policy and where appropriate, disclosure checks will be carried out to ensure that members of the University working with children do not have criminal convictions that would preclude them from working with children. Further information on the University’s disclosure procedures are available.
Training has been provided to staff and students who are required to have contact with children as part of their duties. Training will continue to be provided as necessary.
If parents/carers have any concerns about the treatment of a child whilst on campus, they should speak with the member of staff in charge. If they remain concerned, they may contact one of the University’s Child Protection Officers