Access careers help
If you are in your final year of study and haven't yet decided what to do after you complete your studies, don't worry, help is at hand. There is lots of information on this website and the Careers Network team is here to guide your career decision making and provide advice.
Researching your options
To find a career that really suits you, there are a number of factors we would encourage you to consider about yourself, including:
- your skills and interests
- degree subject
- work experience so far
- work preferences
- values and motivations.
A good place to start is to take a look at the following pages:
- Research your career - including information on knowing your strengths, likes and dislikes
- Choices after university - including working abroad and setting up your own business
- Options with your degree - for tailored information on careers related to your degree, skills gained, and sources of job opportunities
Services for finalists
Careers Network will be with you all the way during your final year at Loughborough University providing support and inspiration to help you whatever your needs. The following services may be of particular benefit to you throughout your final year.
- Book a careers consultation to explore the options available to progress into employment or further study
- Attend skills workshops and presentations to develop your skills and competence on topics such as CVs, application forms, interviews and assessment centres
- Meet employers at careers fairs and presentations throughout the Autumn and Spring term
- Look for jobs and opportunities using our dedicated webpage with a variety of links and information, including our vacancy database Careers Online
Applying for graduate opportunities
We have a range of support available to develop your skills and competence in applying for graduate level roles. You can get support from Careers Network from intitial application right through to interview and accepting a job offer.
We would encourage you to consider engaging in the below options to maximise the effectiveness of your applications.
- Access the Make applications webpage for guidance on applying for jobs including the option of downloading our guidebook and using our
- Have a Quick Advice appointment to get your CVs, covering letters and application forms checked
- Use the Sonru Video Interview practice software
- Attend a mock assessment centre to learn about the process and 'have a go' in a safe and friendly environment.
Postgraduate study and bursaries
Further study can demonstrate enhanced technical and transferable skills and a commitment to your subject.
Further study at Loughborough
If you are a Loughborough graduate thinking of applying for a postgraduate course at either of the Loughborough University campuses, you could receive up to 20% off the tuition fees. This, alongside the new loans for master’s degrees recently announced by the government.
For advice on choosing a course we recommend you speak to your personal tutor, or come to one of the postgraduate open events where you can speak to current master’s students, which is a great way to find out about their experiences of studying at the next level.
Further study outside of Loughborough
We have more information available on our postgraduate study pages.
The support provided by the Careers Network team doesn't stop when you complete your studies and leave the University.
The information and guidance available in the pages of this website are often as applicable to you as a graduate and early or mid-career jobseeker and you are welcome to contact us for advice.
The University's Careers Online service lists thousands of vacancies a year which are placed by employers who have a specific interest in Loughborough students and graduates.
The Make applications pages provide advice on the job application process including writing effective CVs, polishing your interview technique and guidance on assessment centres and psychometric testing.
Another source of careers support is the UK National Careers Service.
There are a variety of ways of getting in touch with the Loughborough Careers Network team noted in the sidebar. You can also find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for the latest news and information.