Professor Lucas van der Woude
Visiting Professor at the PHC, Professor in Human Movement, Rehabilitation and Functional Recovery at the Center for Human Movement Sciences, University of Groningen
Lucas van der Woude joined the PHC as a Visiting Professor in 2013. Since January 1st 2009, Lucas has been a full Professor in 'Human Movement, Rehabilitation and Functional Recovery’ at the Center for Human Movement Sciences, University Medical Center (UMCG) at the University of Groningen (RUG). Lucas worked for over 25 years at the Faculty of Human Movement Sciences at the VU University in the area of rehabilitation, ergonomics and assistive technology. He is formally affiliated as a researcher to the Center for Rehabilitation, Beatrixoord, UMCG, RUG. Lucas is PI in the research program SMARTmovements at the Center for Human Movement Sciences of the UMCG. Since 1990 Lucas has organized 4 international congresses (Amsterdam) with the 5th in 2013 in Groningen.
- PhD (1989: Manual wheelchair propulsion: an ergonomics perspective) in Human Movement Sciences, VU University, Amsterdam.
- MSc (1982): Human Movement Sciences, VU University, Amsterdam.
- IPC Scientific award in 2011.
Membership and involvement with professional bodies / associations
Lucas is a member of the ACSM, ISB and IFAPA, Dutch Ergonomics Society and the Dutch Association for Human Movement Scientists. He is actively involved in the Special Interest Group, Rehabilitation. He is the program leader of the Spinal Cord Injury Research Network Netherlands (www.scionn.nl), that focuses on restoration of mobility of persons with a spinal cord injury during and after rehabilitation.
Current research (and teaching) interests
His main interests are in the areas of physiology, biomechanics and ergonomics of cyclic (upper body arm) work within the context of rehabilitation and adapted sports. There is a strong link with assistive technology and its optimization of functioning in all his work. He specializes in research in manual wheelchair propulsion and mobility restoration in subjects with a spinal cord injury. Physical activity and adapted sports in the context of rehabilitation are strong local developments, expressed in the collaborative (with Dr Rienk Dekker, Center for Rehabilitation, UMCG) initiation of the Northern Expert center for Sports, exercise and Handicap (NESH). International collaboration is key to his work. He is member of ERGIDS a European network of researchers in adapted sports. Next to Notwill, Leuven, Pittsburgh and Miami, the collaboration with the group of Dr Vicky Tolfrey has been among the longest and productive ones. The PhD work of Dr Vicky Tolfrey was the starting point and followed by successful PhD completions of Barry Mason and John Lenton.
Where the PHC had a dominant focus on adapted sports, Lucas started from the bridges between human movement rehabilitation sciences and practice. Over the years his research work shifted towards adapted sports sciences in small steps, stimulated through the collaboration with the PHC.
Lucas van der Woude is program leader of the ALLRISC program and the program 'Restoration of mobility in spinal cord injury rehabilitation', both are highly productive – in scientific and practical context - national networks of different research projects in clinical rehabilitation and funded (over 3m Euros over the past 12yrs) by ZonMw and Fonds NutsOhra (www.scionn.nl). Since the start in 2000 the SCIONN network meets every half year with a scientific program, organized by Sonja de Groot and Lucas.
Current PhD projects with selected funding
- Riemer Vegter : "Motor learning in hand rim wheelchair propulsion" (2015) (funded by CHS-UMCG). Promotors: Prof Lucas HV van der Woude, Prof Dirkjan (HEJ) Veeger, Co-promotors: Dr Claudine JC Lamoth, Dr Sonja de Groot.
- Willem Bossers : "Healty Aging: aerobic exercise, strength training and dementia" (funded by UMCG & Fonds NutsOhra; http://www.dementiefit.nl) (Funds NutsOhra 150,00 Euro). Promotors: Prof LHV van der Woude, Prof Erik Scherder, Co-promotors : Dr Marieke van Heuvelen, Dr Froukje Boersma.
- Inge Eriks: "Structural and functional impairments of the shoulder and its relation to activities and participation in persons with a spinal cord injury" (2013) (funded by Swiss Paraplegic Research) (http://www.scionn.nl/ ). Promotors: Prof Lucas HV van der Woude, Prof Gerold Stucki, Co-promotor: Dr Sonja de Groot.
- Jan van der Scheer: "Upper-body overuse: Effects of low-intensity hand rim wheelchair exercise training" (2014) (funded by ZonMw & Fonds NutsOhra) (http://www.scionn.nl/allrisc/). Promotors: Prof Lucas HV van der Woude, Prof Dirkjan (HEJ) Veeger, Co-promotors: Dr Sonja de Groot (part of 1.2m Euro ZonMw & Fonds NutsOhra).
- Trienke IJmker: "The cost of being stable: relations between walking speed, energy efficiency and stability during normal walking and pathological gait" (VU University Amsterdam (2014)). Promotor: Prof Peter J Beek, Prof Lucas HV van der Woude, Co-promotor: Dr Claudine JC Lamoth, Dr Han Houdijk.
- Marieke Kloosterman, "Prolonged wheelchair mobility through power assist technology?" (RRD, University Twente (2013)). Promotors: Prof Hans Rietman, Prof Lucas HV van der Woude, Co-promotor: Dr Jaap Buurke.
- Laurien Disseldorp: "Physical fitness and physical activity level in children and adolescents after moderate and severe burn injury" (Ma-PhD, December 2013) (funded by UMCG). Promotor: Prof Lucas HV van der Woude, Co-promotor: Dr Noor Mouton, Dr Tim Takken, Dr Marianne Nieuwenhuis.
- Femke Hoekstra & Rehabilitation Sports and ACTive lifestyle (start May 2012; funding VWS: 260,000 Euro) (www.respact.nl). Promotors: Prof Lucas HV van der Woude, Prof Cees van der Schans, Dr Rienk Dekker.
- Rolinde Alingh, Rehabilitation Sports and ACTive lifestyle (start May 2012; funding VWS: 260,00 Euro) (www.respact.nl) Promotors: Prof dr Lucas HV van der Woude, Prof Cees van der Schans, Dr Rienk Dekker.
Selected external research-related roles and research collaborations
- The Peter Harrison Centre for Disability Sport , University of Loughborough, UK, Dr Vicky Goosey-Tolfrey, Dr John Lenton, Dr Barry Mason.
- The Miami Project, Lois Pope Life Center, University of Miami, USA, Dr. Rachel Cowan, Prof. Mark S. Nash.
- Swiss Paraplegic Research , Notwill, Switzerland, Prof. Gerold Stucki, Drs. Inge Eriks, Dr Stefan van Drongelen, Ursina Arnet, Dr Marcel Post.
- Faculty of Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Sciences , Catholic University, Leuven, Belgium, Prof. Yves Vanlandewijck, Joeri Verellen.
- Human Engineering Research Laboratory , School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Prof Rory Cooper, Prof Mike Bonninger.
- ROTA Mobility , Los Gatos, CA, USA, Chris Bayne.
- LODE, UMACO, Groningen the Netherlands.
- Faculty of Medical Sciences, Department of Physiotherapy, Anton de Kom University of Suriname, Paramaribo, Suriname, Dr Kenneth Lamur.
Selected recent publications
Journal articles 2013
- van Koppenhagen, C.F., de Groot, S., Post, M.W.M., Spijkerman, D., Faber, W.X., Linderman, E. and van der Woude, L. H. V. (2013). Wheelchair exercise capacity in spinal cord injury up to five years after discharge from inpatient rehabilitation. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 45 (7), 646-652.
- van Koppenhagen, C. F., de Groot, S., Post, M.W., Hoekstra, T., van Asbeck, F.W., Bongers, H., Lindeman, E. and van der Woude, L. H. V. (2013). Patterns of Changes in Wheelchair Exercise Capacity After Spinal Cord Injury. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.94 (7), 1260-1267.
- Hettinga, F.J., de Groot, S., van Dijk, F., Kerkhof, F., Woldring, F. and van der Woude, L. H. V. (2013) Physical strain of handcycling: An evaluation using training guidelines for a healthy lifestyle as defined by the American College of Sports Medicine. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. 36(4), 376-382.
- Fliess-Douer, O., Vanlandewijck, Y.C., Post, M.W.M., van der Woude, L. H. V. and de Groot, S. (2013). Wheelchair skills performance between discharge and one year after inpatient rehabilitation in hand-rim wheelchair users with spinal cord injury. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 45(6), 553-559.
- Fliess-Douer, O., van der Woude, L. H. V., Vanlandewijck, Y. C. (2013). Test of Wheeled Mobility (TOWM) and a short wheelie test: a feasibility and validity study. Clinical Rehabilitation. 27(6), 527-537.
- Kloosterman, M.G.M., Snoek, G.J., van der Woude, L.H. V., Buurke, J.H. and Rietman, J.S. (2013). A systematic review on the pros and cons of using a pushrim-activated power-assisted wheelchair. Clinical Rehabiliation. 27(4), 299-313.
- Fliess-Douer, O., van der Woude, L.H. V., Vanlandewijck, Y.C. (2013). Reliability of the Test of Wheeled Mobility (TOWM) and the Short Wheelie Test. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 94 (4), 761-770.
- de Groot, S., Post, M.W., Snoek, G. J. Schuitemaker, M. and van der Woude, L.H. V. (2013). Longitudinal association between lifestyle and coronary heart disease risk factors among individuals with spinal cord injury. Spinal cord. 51(4), 314-318.
- van Drongelen, S., Arnet, U., Veeger, D.H. and van der Woude, L.H. V. (2013). Effect of workload setting on propulsion technique in handrim wheelchair propulsion. Medical Engineering and Physics. 35(3), 283-288.
- Lenton, J. P., van der Woude, L. H.V., Fowler, N. E., Tolfrey, K. and Goosey-Tolfrey, V.L. (2013). Hand-rim Forces and Gross Mechanical Efficiency at Various Frequencies of Wheelchair Propulsion. International Journal of Sports Medicine. 34(2) 158-164.
- Vegter, R.J.K., Lamoth, C.J., de Groot, S., Veeger, D.H. and van der Woude, L.H. V.(2013). Variability in bimanual wheelchair propulsion: consistency of two instrumented wheels during handrim wheelchair propulsion on a motor driven treadmill. Journal of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation. 10(9).
- van der Woude, L. H. V., de Groot, S., Postema, K., Bussmann, J.B., Janssen, T.W., ALLRISC. and Post, M.W. (2013). Active LifestyLe Rehabilitation Interventions in aging Spinal Cord injury (ALLRISC): a multicentre research program. (2013). Disability and Rehabilitation. 35(13), 1097-1103.
- Adriaansen, J.J.E., van Asbeck, F.W.A., Lindeman, E. van der Woude, L. H. V., de Groot, S. and Post, M.W. (2013). Secondary health conditions in persons with a spinal cord injury for at least 10 years: design of a comprehensive long-term cross-sectional study. Disability and Rehabilitation. 35(13), 1104-1110.
- Kooijmans, H., Post, M.W.M., van der Woude, L. H.V., de Groot, S., Stam, H.J. and BussmanN, J.B. (2013). Randomized controlled trial of a self-management intervention in persons with spinal cord injury: design of the HABITS (Healthy Active Behavioural IntervenTion in SCI) study. Disability and Rehabilitation. 35(13), 1111-1118.
- van der Scheer, J.W., de Groot, S., Postema, K., Veeger, D.H. and van der Woude, L. H.V. (2013). Design of a randomized-controlled trial on low-intensity aerobic wheelchair exercise for inactive persons with chronic spinal cord injury. Disability and Rehabilitation. 35(13), 1119-1126.
- Bakkum, A.J.T., de Groot, S., van der Woude, L.H.V. and Janssen, T.W.J. (2013). The effects of hybrid cycle training in inactive people with long-term spinal cord injury: design of a multicenter randomized controlled trial. Disability and Rehabilitation. 35 (13), 1127-1132.
- Mason, B.S., van der Woude, L.H.V. and Goosey-Tolfrey, V.L. (2013). The Ergonomics of Wheelchair Configuration for Optimal Performance in the Wheelchair Court Sports. Sports Medicine. 43 (1), 23-38.
- Fliess-Douer, O., Vanlandewijck, Y.C. and van der Woude, L.H.V. (2013). Reliability and validity of perceived self-efficacy in wheeled mobility scale among elite wheelchair-dependent athletes with a spinal cord injury. Disability and Rehabilitation. 35(10), 851-859.