Dr Riemer J.K. Vegter
Visiting Fellow in Rehabilitation Sciences at the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences of Loughborough University
Academic profile Academic profile
Publications Publications database
Since the beginning of July Riemer Vegter was officially appointed as a Visiting Fellow in Rehabilitation Sciences at the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences of Loughborough University. The appointment is a logical extension to the longstanding collaboration between the Peter Harrison Center for disability sports and Groningen University. As a Human Movement Scientist, with a PhD on wheelchair skill acquisition, Riemer brings a strong background in biomechanics, physiology and coordination dynamics to the optimization of Paralympic sports like wheelchair rugby, wheelchair basketball and handcycling. Besides his research skills Riemer is a passionate teacher of mathematics and biomechanics who aims to translate knowledge into practice.
- PhD-student ‘Wheelchair Skill Acquisition: motor learning effects of low-intensity handrim wheelchair practice’.
- BCN PhD Training and Education Program.
- University Teaching Qualification (Pilot group UMCG).
- Human Movement Sciences, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen.
Understanding propulsive shoulder forces and scapular kinematics during manual wheelchair use
Aims & Objectives
- Establish methods for the multi-system measurement of shoulder motion during three submaximal speeds of wheelchair propulsion.
- Measure forces acting on the shoulder girdle, movement patterns of the scapula and technique-related parameters during submaximal manual propulsion in a daily use wheelchair.
- Assess the intra-observer reliability of the technique for performing kinematic analysis of the shoulder and how this may influence the quantification of forces acting on the shoulder.
- Examine asymmetries in scapula movement patterns within individuals and between groups defined by the presence of pain during tasks of daily living.
Optimization of athletic handcycling configuration
Aims & Objectives
- Understanding the effects of fore-aft crank position on physiological and biomechanical outcome parameters.
Optimization of Wheelchair rugby athletes’ propulsion technique
Aims & Objectives
- Examine sprint asymmetries in elite wheelchair rugby athletes.
- Understand how asymmetry impacts classification
Selected recent publications
- Leving, M. T., Vegter, R. J. K., de Groot, S., & van der Woude, L. H. V. (2016). Effects of variable practice on the motor learning outcomes in manual wheelchair propulsion. Journal of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation, 13(1), 100. DOI: 10.1186/s12984-016-0209-7
- van Keeken, H., de Groot, S., Vegter, R., & van der Woude, L. (2016). Biomechanics and ergonomics. In Y. Vanlandewijck, & W. Thompson (Eds.), Training and Coaching the Paralympic Athlete. (pp. 21-53). Chichester, West Sussex, UK; Ames, Iowa, USA: John Wiley & Sons.
- de Groot, S., Bos, F., Koopman, J., Hoekstra, A., & Vegter, R. J. K. (2016). Effect of holding a racket on propulsion technique of wheelchair tennis players. Scandinavian journal of medicine & science in sports. DOI: 10.1111/sms.12701
- van der Scheer, J. W., de Groot, S., Vegter, R. J. K., Hartog, J., Tepper, M., Slootman, H., ... ALLRISC Grp (2015). Low-Intensity Wheelchair Training in Inactive People with Long-Term Spinal Cord Injury: A Randomized Controlled Trial on Propulsion Technique. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 94(11), 975-986. DOI: 10.1097/PHM.0000000000000289
- Leving, M. T., Vegter, R. J. K., Hartog, J., Lamoth, C. J. C., de Groot, S., & van der Woude, L. H. V. (2015). Effects of visual feedback-induced variability on motor learning of handrim wheelchair propulsion. PLoS ONE, 10(5), [e0127311]. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0127311
- Mason, B. S., Lemstra, M., van der Woude, L. H. V., Vegter, R., & Goosey-Tolfrey, V. L. (2015). Influence of wheel configuration on wheelchair basketball performance: Wheel stiffness, tyre type and tyre orientation. Medical Engineering & Physics, 37(4), 392-399. DOI: 10.1016/j.medengphy.2015.02.001
- Vegter, R. J. K., Hartog, J., de Groot, S., Lamoth, C. J., Bekker, M. J., van der Scheer, J. W., ... Veeger, D. H. E. J. (2015). Early motor learning changes in upper-limb dynamics and shoulder complex loading during handrim wheelchair propulsion. Journal of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation, 12, . DOI: 10.1186/s12984-015-0017-5