Project INSPIRED (Investigating Narratives and Stories to Promote and Inspire Regular Exercise in the Disabled) aims to promote physical activity through the power of stories.
What is involved?
- Our aim is to understand the reasons people with a spinal cord injury are active or inactive.
- What motivates? What inspires? What makes it easier or harder?
- We are also interested in what benefits physical activity can bring – like increased self-confidence.
- We will answer these questions through in-depth interviews with people with a spinal cord injury.
The power of stories.
- We are all aware of the power of stories…
- We always remember our favourite books, a great film or even a good joke…these stories stay with us for a very long time.
- Stories affect how we feel – they can make us happy or sad or both
- A good story can therefore communicate the benefits of physical activity in an engaging way.
What we will achieve.
Based on the real life stories of people with a spinal cord injury we will produce:
- A series of powerful stories that:
- move people emotionally
- communicate important information on physical activity
- inspire people to be physically active
- We will scientifically assess the capacity of these stories to get inactive people with a spinal cord injury to be physically active.