Professor Russell Harris
Head of Group
Telephone number: +44 (0)1509 227571
Professional / academic background
2012 – present. Professor of Medical Engineering & Advanced Manufacturing, Group head of AMRG Loughborough University, UK.
2007 – 2012. Senior Lecturer, Loughborough University, UK.
2005 – 2007. Lecturer, Loughborough University, UK.
2002 PhD in Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering. Loughborough University, UK.
1998 B.Eng. Manufacturing Engineering and Management. The University of Nottingham, UK.
Russell Harris, Professor of Medical Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing, Wolfson School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Loughborough University. Professor Harris specialises in materials and manufacturing process research, conducted through research council and industrially sponsored projects. His research achievements have been recognised by a multitude of prize awards, peer reviewed publications, press features, and invited presentations. He has received grant funding awards as Principal Investigator from EPSRC, EC Framework Programme, and Department of Health. He has presented his research, by invitation, at the Royal Society and provided keynotes at many International conferences. He has been awarded the Institute of Mechanical Engineers Donald Julius Groen Prize for research in Structural Technology and Materials (2003), the Institute of Mechanical Engineers Professional Engineering Publishing Award for research in Engineering in Medicine (2007), and the Institute of Mechanical Engineers SAGE Publishing Award for research in Materials: Design and Application (2011).
Broad interests and expertise
- Medical applications of Additive Manufacturing
- Facial reconstruction
- Biomimetic design and engineering
- Medical simulation
- Materials analysis
- Smart Material Structures
- Ultrasonic Consolidation
- Embedded components
- Composite structures
- Additive Manufacturing and Customisation
- Journal referee for multiple journals, including: International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology; International Journal of Production Research; Journal of Materials Processing Technology; Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H, Journal of Engineering in Medicine; Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G, Journal of Aerospace Engineering; Acta Biomaterialia; Rapid Prototyping Journal; Biofabrication;
- Invited lectures at: National Physical Laboratory, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, University of Portsmouth, University of Exeter, University of Sheffield, Nottingham University Hospitals, Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Morriston Hospital.
- 4 x book chapters (John Wiley Publishers 2005, Springer-Verlag New York Inc 2008, Society of Manufacturing Engineers Publishing 2009, Springer-Verlag New York Inc 2011 )
- Honorary Senior Lecturer Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust.
Current research activity
- 'Complex Surgery Simulation', EPSRC (IMCRC223+KTA), 2007-2012, £263,231, Principal Investigator
- 'Smart Material Structures by Ultrasonic Consolidation', EPSRC (IMCRC275), Oct2008-Sept2011, £656,055, Principal Investigator.
- ‘Ultrasonic Consolidation for Manufacturing Aerospace Wing Structures’, EPSRC (KTA), 2011-2012, £117,359, Principal Investigator.
- 'Artificial vascularised scaffolds for 3D-tissue Regeneration', EC FP7, £477,893 Nov2011-Oct2015
- EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Additive Manufacturing, Co-Investigator, Oct2011-Sept2016