Loughborough University invites you to join the debate at EU and You event
Staff, students and members of the public are invited to take part in a campus-wide debate at Loughborough University, discussing the UK’s membership within the EU ahead of the referendum on 23 June.
The debate, taking place on 10 May, will be an evening of exchange with panellists, academics and campaigners presenting information and ideas about the upcoming vote.
Topics covered by campaigners and academics will range from the key facts about the referendum and voting eligibility, to issues surrounding immigration, migration and freedom of movement.
They will also discuss areas such as the financial implications of being a member of the EU, Britain’s place within the EU and the world and, what the EU does for British people.
The event, which is supported by the European Commission’s Lifelong Learning Jean Monnet programme, will provide the opportunity for individuals to take part in active discussions and offer their views on the referendum.
Speakers confirmed to attend the debate include:
Helen Drake, Professor of French and European Studies, School of Politics, History and International Relations, who also holds the Jean Monnet Chair in European Integration at Loughborough, and Chair of the Academic Association for Contemporary European Studies (UACES)
- Vote Leave - Jamie Martin
- Britain Stronger in Europe
- Students for Britain
- European Movement - Laura Sandys
- Another Europe is Possible, University of East Anglia - Dr Marina Prentoulis
- Leave. EU - Tony Homewood
Loughborough Student Societies
- No2EU - Harry Lambert
- Afro Caribbean Society - Idris Haruna-Ishola-Bello
- Dr Marco Antonsich - Senior Lecturer, Department of Geography, Loughborough University and Nationalism Network
- Jon Bigger - PhD Researcher, Politics, History and International Relations, Loughborough University
- Dr Paul Cardwell, Reader in EU External Relations Law, University of Sheffield
- Dr Borja García - Senior Lecturer in Sport Management and Policy, School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences
- Dr Stijn van Kessel - Lecturer in Politics,Politics, History and International Relations, Loughborough University (by video)
- Dr Paul Maddrell - Lecturer in Modern History and International Relations, Politics, History and International Relations, Loughborough University
- Dr Matt McCullock - Senior University Teacher, Politics, History and International Relations, Loughborough University
- Professor James Stanyer, Professor of Communication and Media Analysis, Department of Social Sciences, Loughborough University
- Dr Nikola Tomic - postdoc research fellow, European Crisis Management Politics, History and International Relations, Loughborough University
The event will take place 6-8pm in the Brockington Building, U.0.20.
Questions and comments can be submitted in advance or on the night via Twitter using the hashtag #EUandYOU.
For more information, please contact Professor Helen Drake