The purpose of the Centre is to focus, support and enhance our research activities in nonlinear mathematics and its applications, with a particular emphasis on integrable systems, Hamiltonian dynamics, applied dynamical systems, nonlinear waves, nonlinear partial differential equations (hyperbolic systems, evolutionary wave equations and solitons, stochastic systems), reaction-diffusion equations, biological systems, waves and vortices in geophysical fluid dynamics.
Professor Thanasis Fokas (University of Cambridge)
Professor John Hogan (University of Bristol)
Professor Vladimir Zakharov (Landau Institute for Theoretical Physics, and University of Arizona)
Professor Ken Parsons (Dean of Science, Loughborough University)
Professor Roger Grimshaw (Director)
Professor Mark Groves
Professor Alexander Veselov
GEOMETRY DAY AT LOUGHBOROUGH, September 2007 (organized by Vladimir Novikov)
DYNAMICS DAYS EUROPE 2007 was held at Loughborough from 9-13 July 2007 (local organizer and co-director Mark Groves)
LMS Midlands Regional meeting and workshop TROPICAL GEOMETRY AND APPLICATIONS, April 2007 (organized by Sasha Veselov, Rod Halburd and Alex Bolsinov).
An EPSRC-funded workshop on LONG-TIMESCALE DYNAMICS, April 2007 (local organizer Roger Smith)
The EAST MIDLANDS MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS SEMINARS, sponsored by the LMS, are held two or three times each year, at Loughborough, Leicester and Nottingham (local organizer Holger Dullin)
The annual INTEGRABLE DAYS AT LOUGHBOROUGH workshops, sponsored by the LMS are held at Loughborough (localorganizer Sasha Veselov)
A half-day meeting on NONLINEAR WAVES was held in March 2005 (organized by Roger Grimshaw)
Long-term Visitors (2007)
- Prof. Anatoly Kamchatnov (Institute of Spectroscopy, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) March-April [Gennady El].
- Dr. Maxim Pavlov (Lebedev Physical Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow) September [Gennady El].
- Dr. S.A. Zykov (SISSA, Italy) October [Gennady El].
- Professor Efim Pelinovsky and Dr. Tatiana Talipove (Institute of Applied Physics, Nizhny Novgorod), March 2007 [Roger Grimshaw].
- Dr. Vassilis Rothos (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki), June 2007 [Roger Grimshaw].
- Dr J. Podolsky (Institute of Theoretical Physics, Charles University, Prague) September 2007 [Jerry Griffiths].
- Gennady El has been invited to give a series of seminars on kinetic equations for solitons at the National Center for Theoretical Sciences, National Taiwan University in March - April 2008).
- Mark Groves edited a special issue of GAMM Mitteilungen (2007) on Nonlinear Waves and organised (with Guido Schneider and Walter Craig) a workshop on `Mathematical theory of water waves' at Oberwolfach in November 2006.
- Roger Grimshaw was co-director (wih Joceline Lega) of the SIAM Conference on Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures, Seattle, September 2006. He was editor and contribited two chapters to a research monograph on "Solitary Waves in Fluids" (WIT Press, 2007).
- Natalia Janson with co-authors has published an invited Chapter ``Control of noise-induced dynamics''(60 p.), in the Handbook of Chaos Control (second completely revised and enlarged edition) eds: E. Schöll, and H.G. Schuster, Wiley-VCH (October 2007).
- Jenya Ferapontov has been invited to give a series of lectures on multi-dimensional integrability and geometry at the Odense winter school (January 2008) and at the Banach Center in Warsaw (April 2008).
- Karima Khusnutdinova published an invited review article "Coupled Klein-Gordon equations and energy exchange in two-component systems" in Euro. Phys. Journal in the issue: Special Topics on "Nonlinear waves in complex systems: energy flow and geometry", ed. J.-G. Caputo and M.P. Soersen, vol. 147, (2007), 45 - 72.
- Anatoly Neishtadt was co-director (with Walter Craig) of a NATO Advanced Study Institute Summer School "Hamiltonian Dynamical Systems and Applications", held at Montreal, June 2007, He gave invited talks at the international conference on Dynamical Methods and Mathematical Modeling, Valladolid September 2007 and at the Workshop on Mathematical Aspects of Celestial Mechanics, Paris, December 2007.
- Sasha Veselov is coordinator of Loughborough node of the ESF programme MISGAM (2004-2009) and a member of Steering Committee of the European network ENIGMA (2005-2009). He is a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Isacc Newton Institute Programme “Discrete Integrable Systems”, to be held in 2009.