Interests and experience
I am a Chartered Statistician and have worked in the library and information sector since 1994. As Director of LISU, I am involved in a wide range of research and consultancy projects, responsible for the management of the unit as well as ensuring the quality and reliability of the various data collections and analyses which are undertaken.
My main research interests are in the areas of:
- management statistics for libraries and information centres in all sectors; in particular the use of quantitative data to evaluate and improve library management and performance, and the development of relevant and appropriate methodologies to facilitate this; and
- scholarly communication, with particular reference to researcher behaviours and attitudes to open access to research outputs
- Scholarly communication
- Academic library performance and value
- Managing access to the Internet in public libraries
- Visually impaired readers
Chair of the British Standards Institute committee for Library and Publishing Statistics
Member of the Royal Statistical Society Statistics User Forum
Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals
- Fry, J., Spezi, V., Probets, S. and Creaser, C. Towards an understanding of the relationship between disciplinary research cultures and open access repository behaviours. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST) [early view] DOI: 10.1002/asi.23621
- Spacey, R, E., Muir, A., Cooke, L., Creaser, C. and Spezi, V. Filtering wireless (Wi-Fi) internet access in public places. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science (2015), DOI: 10.1177/0961000615590693
- Spezi, V., Creaser, C. and Conyers, A. The impact of Resource Discovery Services (RDS) on usage of electronic content in UK academic libraries: selected results from a UKSG-funded project. Serials Review (2015), 41(2), DOI: 10.1080/00987913.2015.1035991
- Creaser, Claire. "The role of the academic library". The Future of the Academic Journal (2014) 2nd ed, pp317‑329.
- Creaser, Claire; Cullen, Susanne; Curtis, Ruth; Darlington, Nicola; Maltby, Jane; Newall, Elizabeth; Spezi, Valerie. "Working together: Library value at the University of Nottingham", Performance Measurement and Metrics (2014) Vol 15, Iss: 1/2, pp41‑49.
- Cooke, L., Spacey, R.E., Creaser, C. and Muir, A. You don’t come to the library to look at porn and stuff like that”: filtering software in public libraries
Library and Information Research. 38 (117) 5-19 (2014)
- Cooke, L., Spacey, R.E., Creaser, C. and Muir, A. Filtered by default? Internet access in public libraries. CILIP Update (April 2014)
- Spacey, R.E., Cooke, L., Muir, A. and Creaser, C. Regulating use of the Internet in public libraries: a review. Journal of Documentation (2014)
- Spacey, R., L. Cooke, C. Creaser & A. Muir. Regulating Internet access and content in UK public libraries: Findings from the MAIPLE project. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science (2013).
- Harrison, J, Creaser, C and Greenwood, H. "The Status of Health Librarianship and Libraries in the Republic of Ireland (SHELLI): an account of a mixed methods review to inform future strategy and sustainability". Health Information and Libraries Journal (2013) Vol 30, No 2, pp92‑109.
- Spacey, R., C. Creaser & D. Hicks. The imact of reading for pleasure on blind and partially sighted adults and its implications for materials provision. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, Published online before print May 21, 2013, DOI: 10.1177/0961000613488409
- Creaser, C, and Spezi, V C L, "Improving perceptions of value to teaching and research staff: The next challenge for academic libraries", Journal of Librarianship and Information Science (2013), Volume 46.
- Creaser, C., R. Spacey & D. Hicks, 2012. Assessing the impact of reading for blind and partially sighted adults. Report to RNIB. LISU & The Reading Agency, 50 pp.
- Creaser, C, Oppenheim, C, and Summers, M A C, "What do UK academics cite? An analysis of references cited in UK scholarly outputs", Scientometrics, 2011, DOI: 10.1007/s11192-010-0321-6.
- Creaser, C, “Open Access to Research Outputs - institutional policies and researchers' views: results from two complementary surveys”, New Review of Academic Librarianship, 16(1), 2010, pp 4‑25.
- Creaser, C, and White, S U, "Trends in journal prices: an analysis of selected journals, 2000-2006 ", Learned Publishing 21 (3) 2008, pp 43‑53.
- Creaser, C, Conyers, A and Lockyer, S E, "VAMP - Laying the foundations", Performance Measurement & Metrics, 8(3), 2007, pp 157‑169.
- Creaser, C, "User Surveys in Academic Libraries", New
Review of Academic Librarianship, 12(1), 2006, pp 1‑15.
Tel +44 (0) 1509 635682