About the University
Loughborough University is a fantastic place to work and study. There is a real pride in the University that touches everyone associated with it.
Throughout our history we have built upon our distinctive characteristics and enhanced our strengths. Our origins in 1909, as one of the UK’s foremost technical institutes focused on meeting society’s needs, set in train an ethos that is still evident at Loughborough today.
Our campus in the heart of Leicestershire – one of the largest in the UK, spanning 440 acres – provides a supportive and enriching environment with first-rate facilities for both staff and students.
Loughborough University London, our postgraduate campus on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, the former site of the 2012 London Olympics, offers education, research and enterprise opportunities in London’s newest innovation quarter.
In the 21st Century we are one of Britain’s leading universities. Our combination of world class research, enterprising outlook, unparalleled sporting achievement and excellent student experience gives rise to something that is truly special, and distinctive among the UK’s universities.
- BRITAIN’S BEST STUDENT EXPERIENCE OVER THE LAST 10 YEARS, Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2007-2017
- RATED GOLD in the Teaching Excellence Framework 2017
- RANKED 6TH IN THE UK, Times Higher Education (THE) ‘Table of Tables’ 2017
- UNIVERSITY OF THE YEAR FOR SPORT, Times Good University Guide 2017
- BEST SPORTING UNIVERSITY IN THE WORLD, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017
- AWARDED 7 QUEEN’S ANNIVERSARY PRIZES, Second only to Oxford
- TOP for HIGH QUALITY FACILITIES, Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2017
- 1ST FOR GIVING BACK, WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2017
- RATED FIVE STARS PLUS for excellence, QS Stars
- A TOP 10 UNIVERSITY IN ENGLAND FOR RESEARCH INTENSITY, according to the Research Excellence Framework
- 1st in the UK and globally for overall satisfaction with the University, Student Barometer Autumn Wave 2016 – out of 45 participating universities globally, based on overall score across all measures
Loughborough University has 20 academic Schools and departments and more than 100 research groups, institutes and centres. In research, we also have four Global Challenges which help to deliver multi-disciplinary solutions to the biggest societal challenges of the day.
The Chancellor is the formal principal officer of the University. The day-to-day running of the University is the responsibility of the Vice-Chancellor and President, who is the academic and executive head. Professor Robert Allison was appointed as the University’s eighth Vice-Chancellor in September 2012.
The Vice-Chancellor works closely with the Academic Leadership Team which includes the Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor, three Pro Vice-Chancellors, the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Finance and ten School Deans. He also works closely with other senior officers.