5 Dec 2017
Reminder: Help others this Christmas with LSU’s shoe box appeal
The Loughborough Students’ Union Action team needs your help this Christmas to donate items to a number of local charities.
Between Saturday 2 December and Tuesday 12 December, the team will be collecting and sending shoeboxes to various non-profit organisations in and around Loughborough and University staff are encouraged to get involved.
You can create your own shoebox with lots of goodies that will help someone else this Christmas.
As a guide, here are some of the items the team recommends to put in your gift:
- Food items – tea/coffee, tinned and packaged food, Christmas cake or mince pies, chocolate, biscuits (please ensure they are sealed, non-perishable or have an expiry date of a couple of months)
- Toiletries – shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser, deodorant, shower gel, toothpaste and toothbrush
- Clothing – hat, gloves, scarf, socks, belt, and t-shirt
- Gift items – playing cards, books, insulated travel mug, notebook and pens
- A Christmas card with a message (please don’t include personal details or seal the envelope)
- The team are also asking for any tinned dog food which will be donated to the homeless shelters that cater for animals.
It is requested that you don’t include any sharp items, electrical goods, alcohol, cigarettes or medication in your box.
The shoebox appeal has helped numerous charities over recent years, including Shepshed Food Bank, The Carpenters Arms, The Falcon Centre, Minnie’s Friends and more.
For safety purposes, the Action team have asked for the boxes not to be sealed as they will have to be checked prior to donation.
Staff can alternatively sponsor a shoebox for £15. All items and shoeboxes can be dropped off at the Students’ Union between the dates listed above, and you can also pick up a shoebox to fill from the LSU Action office or shoe outlets such as Clarks if you don’t have one at home.
For more information, contact Anna Milewska, LSU Action Executive Officer at ActionEO@lsu.co.uk.