2 Dec 2014
Charnwood Student Safety Campaign – Day 2
Today marks day two of Student Safety Week in Loughborough. The campaign is designed to encourage students across the Borough to think about safety issues.
Thought of the day – am I drinking responsibly?
Top tips for responsible drinking
- Eat before you go out (preferably carbohydrates)
- Drink at the pace of the slowest drinker of the group
- Don’t get involved in drinking games
- Stick to clear drinks (they don’t contain congeners that can worsen the hangover)
- Make your drinks last longer (add soda water or lemonade and avoid shots)
- Drink at least one soft drink
- Avoid rounds (they’re expensive and encourage drinking faster)
- Never leave your drink unattended (you don’t know what might be put in it)
Did you know that:
- A unit may be less than you think, with a standard ‘alcopop’ containing 1.5, one pint containing almost 3 and a double vodka containing 2 units.
- People under the influence are more likely to get in fights, argue with friends, get mugged, suffer injuries, and be involved in road traffic accidents.
- Alcohol is a depressant. It can trigger and exaggerate feelings of anxiety and depression, violence or self-harm.
- The list of long-term problems associated with excessive drinking is endless, but to name just a few: cancer, liver disease, infertility, heart disease, stroke
- There is plenty of information available to help understand drinking. Check out these: http://www.lsu.co.uk/betterdecisions/ and http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/
Remember; at the end of Student Safety Week advice and enforcement activities will be taking place: you are more likely to get spoken to or even arrested whilst under the influence of alcohol.