1 Dec 2014
Charnwood Student Safety Campaign – Day 1
Today marks day one of Student Safety Week in Loughborough. The campaign is designed to encourage students across the Borough to think about safety issues.
Thought of the day – am I cycling safely?
Top ten things you can do to protect yourself and your bike:
- Secure cycle storage is available on campus – this is the safest place to keep your bike. Keep your bike in a shed or at least locked if you live off campus
- Wear bright clothing
- Wear a helmet
- Wear reflective clothing
- Always use lights after dark
- Reflectors are not lights!
- D locks are more secure than chains or cables
- Register your bike with Security – it could make the difference of you getting it back if it is stolen
- Obey the Highway Code
- Pay attention to other road users
Did you know that:
- You must not ride a cycle whilst under the influence of alcohol
- Cyclists must obey all traffic lights and signs and use front and rear lights at night.
- You should not ride a bike on the pavement
- Riding without lights on campus may result in a fine
Remember: at the end of Student Safety Week you could be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice by the Police for offences related to cycling.