Professor Jon Arcelus
Consultant Psychiatrist and Visiting Professor
Professor Jon Arcelus, LMS, MSc, FRCPsych, PhD is a Consultant Psychiatrist and a Visiting Professor at the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences. He works at the National Gender Clinic in Nottingham (one of the largest services in Europe) and at the Leicester Eating Disorders NHS Service.
He originally trained as an Adolescent Psychiatrist in the West-Midlands and the South Trent Rotational Scheme and worked as a clinical Lecturer in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at the University of Leicester, where he concluded his PhD. He also worked at the Portman Gender Identity Development Service in London during his training and concluded a Master degree in the psychotherapy for sexual dysfunctions at the Porterbrook clinic in Sheffield.
He is an accredited couple, systemic, sex and interpersonal psychotherapist. He has a special interest in the field of Gender, Body image, Eating Disorders and Exercise.
Prof. Arcelus joined Loughborough University in 2006, bringing his interest in clinical and translational research to the academic team. His collaboration with Loughborugh University has managed to successfully obtain several Grants.
He is an Associated Editor of the European Eating Disorders Review, a full member of the Academy for Eating Disorders and an elected member of the Eating Disorders Research Society. Prof. Arcelus became a Fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 2011.
- Evaluation of clinical treatments for eating disorders
- Development of new interventions for eating disorders
- Eating disorders and Sport and dance
- Interpersonal problems and the role of Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT)
- Improving Mental Health for Trans individuals
- Development of psycho-educational tools for individuals, carers, significant others, family and friends.
- Body image and Gender
- Health, wellbeing, and eating disorders in the Trans population.
- 2013- Chief Investigator. Pilot study to inform a randomised control trial protocol examining the clinical effectiveness of a modified version of Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT-BNm) for the treatment of bulimia nervosa. Research of Patient Benefit (RfPB)
- 2012- Chief investigator. Prevention of eating disorders within the university student population. EMHIEC
- 2011-Chief-investigator. Development of training in the management of exercise for patients with anorexia nervosa. EMHIEC.
- 2011-Co-applicant. Development of the anorexia register for the East Midlands. Comprehensive Local Research Network.
- 2009- Principal Investigator. Modification of a psychological treatment for Bulimia Nervosa with the aim of reducing waiting time and increasing productivity without affecting outcome. Regional Innovation Grant No: 361.
- 2009- Chief-Investigator: Taking a LEAP forward in the treatment of Anorexia Nervosa: A randomised controlled trail. UK/Australia . Project adopted by the Mental Health Research Network. NHMRC Project Grant No: 634922.
- Professorial Fellowship. Institute of Mental Health, Nottingham
- Visiting Professor. Shanghai Mental Health Center, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
- External advisor on eating disorders Royal Ballet London and Dance UK
- External examiner at the Master in Clinical Nutrition. University College London.
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Eating Disorders
- Associate Editor-European Eating Disorders Review
- Elected member of the Eating Disorders Research Society
- Member of the Academy for Eating Disorders
Books and chapters
- Thurston, M & Arcelus J. (2015). Mental health and sport. 2nd edition. In Slack, T & Parent, M.M. (Eds). Understanding Sport Organisations. Ontario: Human Kinetics Publishers. (in press)
- Curry, A., Arcelus, J & Plateau, C. (2015). Eating disorders and sport. In Curry. A (Ed.). Mental health and Sport. Oxford: Oxford University Press. (in press)
- Arcelus J, Bouman WP, and Baggott, J. (2013). The use of interpersonal psychotherapy for non-suicidal self-injury and eating disorders. Chapter 11. In: NSSI in Eating Disorders. Prof L Claes and Dr Muehlenkamp (Eds.). New York: Springer.
- Whight, D., McGrain, L., Baggott, J., Meadows, L., Langham, C., and Arcelus, J. (2011) Interpersonal Psychotherapy for Bulimia Nervosa (IPT BNm). London: Troubador Ltd.
- Arcelus, J., Haslam, M. & Whight, D. (2011) Interpersonal Psychotherapy as a treatment for Bulimia Nervosa. In: P. Hay (Ed.) New Insights into the prevention and treatment of Bulimia Nervosa. London: Intech Bulimia.
- Arcelus, J. & Palmer, R.L. (2008) Specialist Referral. Chapter 7, In: ABC of Eating Disorders. London: BMJ books.
- Arcelus, J., Gale, F., & Vostanis, P. (2002) Child Mental Health Problems in Primary Care, Chapter 10, In: F.Badger & P.Nolan, eds. Promoting Collaborative Primary Mental Health Care. London: Nelson Thornes Ltd.
- Munden, A. & Arcelus, J. (1999) The ADHD Handbook: A Guide for Parents and Professionals on Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. London: Jessica Kingsley.
Peer reviewed publications
- Wittcomb, G.L., Bouman, W.P., Brewin, N., Richards, C., Fernandez-Aranda, F., and Arcelus, J. Body image dissatisfaction and eating-related psychopathology in trans individuals: A matched control study. European Eating Disorders Review (In Press).
- Jimenez-Murcia, S., Granero, R., Tarrega, S., Angulo, A., Fernandez-Aranda, F., Arcelus, J., Fagundo, A.B., Aymani, N., Moragas, L., Sauvaget, A., Grall-Bronnec, M., Gomez-Pena,P., Menchon, J.M. Medeicational role of age of onset in gmabling disorder. A path modelling analysis. Journal of Gambling studies. (In press).
- Arcelus, J., García-Dantas, A., Sánchez-Martín, M., y Del Río, C. Revista de Psicología del Deporte (in press)
- White, H.J., Haycraft, E., Wallis, D., Arcelus, J., Leung, N. and Meyer, C. (2015) Development of the Mealtime Emotions Measure for adolescents (MEM-A): Gender differences in emotional responses to family mealtimes and eating psychopathology. Appetite, 85, 76-83
- Jiménez-Murcia, S., Granero, R., Fernández-Aranda, F., Arcelus, J., Aymamí, MN., Gómez-Peña, M., Tárrega, S., Moragas, L., del Pino-Gutiérrez, A, Sauchelli S., Fagundo, AB., Brewin, N., Orekhova, L., Menchón, JM., Predictors of outcome among pathological gamblers treated by cognitive-behavioral group therapy, European Addiction Research (In press).
- Custal, N., Arcelus, J., Aguera, Z., Bobes, F., Wales, J., Granero, R., Jimenez-Murcia, S., Sanchez, I., Riesco, N., Alonso, P., Menchon, J.M., and Fernandez-Aranda,F. Treatment outcome of patients with comorbid type 1 diabetes and eating disorders, BMC Psychiatry (In press)
- Plateau, C., Arcelus J., McDermoth, H., and Meyer. C, Responses of Track and Field Coaches to Athletes with Eating Problems, Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sport (In press)
- Farré JM, Fernández-Aranda F, Granero R, Aragay N, Mallorquí-Bague N, More A. , Bouman WP, Arcelus J, Penelo E, Aymamí MN, Gómez-Peña M, Ferrer V, Gunnard K, Romaguera A, Savvidou LG, Menchón JM, Vallès V and Jiménez-Murcia S (2015). Sex Addiction and Gambling Disorder: Similarities and Differences. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 56, 59-68
- Claes L, Bouman WP, Witcomb G, Thurston M, and Arcelus J (2015). Non-Suicidal Self-Injury in Transsexualism: Associations with Psychological Symptoms, Victimization, Interpersonal Functioning and Perceived Social Support. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 12, 1, 168-79
- Davey A, Bouman WP, Arcelus J, and Meyer C (2014) Social support and psychological wellbeing: A comparison of patients with gender dysphoria and matched controls. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 11, 12, 2976-85
- Fernández-Aranda F, Sauchelli, S., Pastor, A., Gonzalez, M.L., De La Torre, R., Granero R, Jiménez-Murcia S, Banos, R., Botella C., Fernandez Real, J.M., Fernandez-Garcia, JC., Fruhbeck, G., Gomez-Ambrosi, J., Rodriguez, R., Tinahones, F.J., Arcelus, J., Fagundo, A.B., Aguera, Z., Miro, J., and Casnueva FF. (2014) Moderate-vigorous physical activity across body mass index in Females: moderating effect of endocannabinoids and Temperament. PlosOne, 7, 9(8), e104534
- Mepham NJ, Bouman WP, Arcelus J, Wylie KR, and Hayter, M (2014) People with Gender Dysphoria who self prescribe Cross Sex Hormones: prevalence, Sources and Side Effects Knowledge. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 11, 2995-3001
- Bouman WP, Richards C, Addinall RM, Arango de Montis I, Arcelus J, Duisin D, Esteva I, Fisher A, Harte F, Khoury B, Lu Z, Marais A, Mattila A, Nayarana Reddy D, Nieder TO, Robles Garcia R, Rodrigues jr. OM, Roque Guerra A, Tereshkevich D, T’Sjoen G, and Wilson D (2014). Yes and Yes Again: Are Standards of Care which require two Referrals for Genital Reconstructive Surgery Ethical? Sexual and Relationship Therapy, 29, 4, 377:389
- Brewin, N., Baggott, J., Duggart, P., and Arcelus, J. (2014) Eating Disorder Examination questionnaire and Eating Disorder Inventory: Clinical Normative Data for DSM 5 Feeding and Eating Disorder Classifications: A retrospective study of patients formerly diagnosed via DSM-IV. European Eating Disorders Review, 22, 299-305
- Hibbs, R, Rhind C, Sallis, H, Goddard E, Raenker, S, Arcelus, J, Boughton N, Connan F, Goss K, Laszlo B, Morgan, JF, Moore K, Robertson D, Schreiber-Kounine C, Sharma S, Whitehead L , Lacey H ,Schmidt U, and Treasure J (2014). Confirmatory Factor Analysis of Two Eating Disorder Questionnaires for Carers. Health Psychology and Behavioural Medicine, 2,1,322-334
- Goodwin, Arcelus, J, Geach, N, and Meyer, C. (2014) Perfectionism and eating disorder psychopathology among dancers: The role of high standards and self-criticism. European Eating Disorders Review, 22,5, 346-51
- Plateau, C.R.., Shanmugam, V., Duckham, R.L., Goodwin, H., Jowett, S., Brooke-Wavell, K.S.F., Laybourne, A., Arcelus, J. & Meyer, C. (2014). Use of the Compulsive Exercise Test in athletes: Norms and links with eating psychopathology. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 26(3), 287-301.
- Plateau, C., McDermoth, H., Arcelus J., and Meyer. C (2014) Identifying and Preventing Disordered Eating Among Athletes: Perceptions of Track and Field Coaches, Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 15,6, 721-728
- Goodwin, H, Arcelus, J., Marshall, S., Wicks, S., and Meyer, C (2014) Critical comments concerning shape and weight: Associations with eating psychopathology among full-time dance students, Eating and Weight Disorders, 19, 115-118
- Davey, A., Arcelus, J., and Munir, F. (2014) Work demands, social support and job satisfaction in eating disorder inpatient settings: a qualitative study, International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 23, 60-68
- Agüera, Z.; Riesco, N; Jiménez-Murcia, S; Islam, M.A; Granero, R; Vicente, E.; Peñas-Lledó, E; Arcelus, J; Sánchez, I; Menchon, JM; and Fernández-Aranda, F (2014) Cognitive behaviour therapy response and dropout rate across purging and non purging bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorders: DSM-5 implications. BMC Psychiatry, 13, 285
- Goddard, E. Salerno, L. Hibbs, R., Raenker, S., Naumann, U., Arcelus, J., Boughton, N. Connan, F. Goss, K. Laszlo, B., Morgan, J. Moore, K. Robertson, D., Schreiber-Kounine, C., Sharma, S., Whitehead, L, Lacey, H ,Schmidt, U. and Treasure, J.(2014) Empirical examination of the interpersonal maintainance model of anorexia nervosa, International Journal of Eating Disorders, 46, 8, 867-875
- Arcelus, J., Witcomb, G.L., and Mitchell, A. (2014) Prevalence of eating disorders amongst dancers: A systemic review and meta-analysis, European Eating Disorders Review, 22,2, 92-101
- Goddard, E. Hibbs, R Raenker, S., Salerno, L.. Arcelus, J., Boughton, N. Connan, F. Goss, K. Laszlo, B., Morgan, J. Moore, K. Robertson, D., Schreiber-Kounine, C., Sharma, S., Whitehead, L, Lacey, H ,Schmidt, U. and Treasure, J.(2013) A multi-centre cohort study of short term outcomes of hospital treatment for anorexia nervosa in the UK, BMC Psychiatry, 13:287
- Witcomb, G, Arcelus, J., and Chen, J. (2013) Can cognitive dissonance methods developed in the West for combatting the 'thin ideal' help slow the rapidly increasing prevalence of eating disorders in non-Western cultures? Shanghai Archives of Psychiatry, 25, 6, 332-341
- Raenker, S., Hibbs, R, Goddard, E, Landau, S, Naumann, U, Arcelus, J, Ayton, A, Bamford, B, Boughton, N, Connan, F, Goss, K, Laszlo, B, Morgan, J, Moore, K, Robertson, D, Schreiber-Kounine, C, Sharma, S, Whitehead, L, Beecham, J, Schmidt, U, and Treasure, J (2013) Caregiving and coping in carers of people with severe and enduring anorexia nervosa admitted for inpatient care, International Journal of Eating Disorders, 46, 364-54
- Arcelus, J., Haslam, M., Farrow, C., and Meyer. C. (2013) The role of interpersonal functioning in the maintenance of eating psychopathology: A systematic review and testable model, Clinical Psychology Review, 33, 156-167
- Jones, W.R., Morgan, F.J., and Arcelus, J. (2013) Managing physical risk in anorexia nervosa, Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, 19, 201-202
- Martin, C., Dovey, T., and Arcelus, J (2012). Feeding disorders in infancy or early childhood, Mexican Journal of Eating Disorders, 3, 89-98
- Chen J, Wang Z, Guo B, Arcelus J, Zhang H, Jia X, Xu Y, Qiu J, Xiao Z, and Zhang M, Y, (2012) Negative Affect Mediates Effects of Psychological Stress on Disordered Eating in Young Chinese Women, PlosOne, 7(10):e46878
- Haslam, M., Arcelus, J., Farrow, C., and Meyer, C. (2012) Attitudes towards emotional expression mediate the relationship between childhood invalidation and adult eating concern. European Eating Disorders Review, 20, 610-14
- Arcelus, J., Yates, A., and Whiteley, R. (2012) Romantic relationships, clinical and sub-clinical eating disorders: A review of the literature. Sexual and Relationship Therapy, 27(2), 147-162
- Arcelus, J., Whight, D., Brewin, N. and McGrain, L. (2012) Brief Interpersonal Psychotherapy for the treatment of Bulimic Disorders: a pilot study. European Eating Disorders Review, 20, 4, 326-330
- Gilbert, N., Arcelus, J., Meyer, C., Cashmore, R., Langham, C., and Thompson, B. (2012) Should I mention eating? Disclosure of eating disorders and subsequent help seeking. European Eating Disorders Review, 20 (1), 80-85.
- Long, S., Wallis, D. J., Leung, N., Arcelus, J., and Meyer, C. (2012) Meal times in eating disorders wards. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 45(2), 241-246.
- Arcelus, J., Baggott, J., Whight, D., McGrain, L., Meadows, L., and Langham, C (2011) Predictors of Interpersonal Psychotherapy in patients with bulimic eating disorders. Mexican Journal of Eating Disorders, 2, 62-70.
- Karacic, M., Wales, J., Arcelus, J., Palmer, R.L., and Fairburn, C. (2011) Changes in alcohol consumption as a result of transdiagnostic treatment. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 49, 573-577.
- Arcelus, J., Mitchell, A., Wales, J., and Nielsen, S. (2011) Mortality in Eating Disorders: A Meta-analysis. Archives of General Psychiatry, 68(7), 724-731.
- Smethurst, W., Wales, J., and Arcelus, J. (2010) Puff the magic slimmer. European Eating Disorders Review, 18, 431-433.
- Sekar, M.K., Arcelus, J., and Palmer, R.L. (2010) Micrographia and hypophonia in Anorexia Nervosa – A case report. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 43, 762-765.
- Nicholls, D. & Arcelus, J. (2010) Making Eating Disorders classification work in ICD 11. European Eating Disorders Review, 18, 247-250.
- Arcelus, J. (2010) The Treatment of Eating Disorders: A clinical handbook by o Carlos M. Grilo and James E. Mitchell. European Eating Disorders Review, 4, 338. [Book Review]
- Pretorius, N., Waller. G., Arcelus, J., Beecham. J., Dawson, H., et al (2009) Validity of the Eating Disorders Examination-Questionnaire when used with Adolescents with Bulimia Nervosa and Atypical Bulimia Nervosa. Eating and Weight Disorders, 14(4), e243-248.
- Arcelus, J. & Wales, J. (2009) Anorexia nervosa and vaginismus: A case report. Sexual and Relationship Therapy, 24, 368 – 372.
- Pretorius, N., Arcelus, J., Beecham. J., Dawson, H, Doherty, F., et al. (2009) Cognitive-behavioural therapy for adolescents with bulimic symptomatology: The acceptability and effectiveness of internet-based delivery. Behaviour, Research and Therapy, 47, 729-736.
- Morgan, J.F. & Arcelus, J. (2009) Body Image and sexual orientation in men. European Eating Disorders Review, 17, 435-444.
- Meyer, C., Arcelus, J. and Wright, S. (2009) Accuracy of self-reported weight and height among eating disordered women: A replication and extension study. European Eating Disorders Review, 17, 366-371.
- Arcelus, J., Whight, D., Langham, C., Baggott, J., McGrain, L., Meadows, L., and Meyer, C. (2009) A case series evaluation of a modified version of Interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT) for the treatment of bulimic eating disorders: A pilot study. European Eating Disorders Review, 17, 260-268.
- Arcelus, J. & Cashmore, R. (2009) Eating Disorders: managing the transition. British Journal of Healthcare Management, 14, 9-14.
- Arcelus, J., Bouman, W.P. and Morgan, J.F. (2008) Treating young people with eating disorders – transition from child mental health to specialist adult eating disorder service. European Eating Disorders Review, 16, 30-36.
- Arcelus, J. (2008) Eating Disorders in Hispano-America by Mancilla Diaz & Perez-Mitre. European Eating Disorders Review, 15, 400. [Book Review]
- Arcelus, J. & Button, E. (2007) Clinical and socio-demographic characteristics of university students referred to an eating disorders service. European Eating Disorders Review, 15, 146-151.
- Bouman W.P., Arcelus., J., and Benbow, S.M. (2007) Nottingham Study of Sexuality & Ageing (NoSSA II) - Attitudes of care staff regarding sexuality and residents: A study in residential and nursing homes. Sexual and Relationship Therapy, 22, 45-61.
- Bouman W.P., Arcelus., J., and Benbow, S.M. (2006) Are younger care staff more tolerant towards older residents and their sexuality? - A Study in Residential and Nursing Homes. European Journal of Sexual Health, 15, S41-S42.
- Bouman W.P., Arcelus., J., and Benbow, S.M. (2006) Nottingham Study of Sexuality & Ageing (NoSSA I) - Attitudes regarding sexuality and older people: A review of the literature. Sexual and Relationship Therapy, 21, 149-161.
- Arcelus, J. & Vostanis, P. (2005) Co-morbidity in children and adolescents. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 18, 429-435.
- Arcelus, J. & Bouman, W.P. (2004) Schizophrenia in adolescents. Postgraduate Doctor- Caribbean, 20(5), 165-167.
- Laugharne, J., Davies, A., Arcelus. J., and Bouman, W.P. (2004) Informing patients about tardive dyskinesia: A survey of clinicians' attitudes in three countries. International Journal of Law & Psychiatry, 27, 101-108.
- Arcelus, J., & Vostanis, P. (2003) Child psychiatric disorders among primary mental health service attenders. British Journal of General practice, 53, 214-216.
- Arcelus, J. & Bouman, W.P. (2003) Managing schizophrenia in adolescent patients. Prescriber, 14, 20-27.
- Carlton, T. & Arcelus, J. (2003) Adolescent units: A need for change? Psychiatric Bulletin, 27, 292-295.
- Arcelus, J. (2003) Arenas of Comfort in Adolescence – A Study of Adjustment in Context by Kathleen T. Call & Jeylan T. Mortimer. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 8(2), 101.[book review]
- Arcelus, J. (2002) Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Selection. Journal Monitoring. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 8, 192-193.
- Arcelus, J. (2002) Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Selection. Journal Monitoring. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 7, 196-197.
- Arcelus, J. (2002) Child and Adolescent Behavioural Problems: A multidisciplinary Approach to Assessment and Treatment by Carole Sutton. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 7, 149-150. [Book Review]
- Arcelus, J., Gale, F. and Vostanis, P. (2001) Characteristics of children and families attending a British Primary Mental Health Service. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 10, 91-95.
- Bouman, W. P. & Arcelus, J. (2001) Are psychiatrists guilty of 'Ageism' when it comes to taking a sexual history? International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 16, 27-31.
- Arcelus, J. & Bouman, W.P. (2000) Gender Identity Disorder in a child with a family history of cross-dressing. Sexual and Relationship Therapy, 15, 407-411.
- Arcelus, J., Munden, A., Mackauchlin, A. and Vostanis, P. (2000) Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, emotional disorder and other behavioural problems: A preliminary study in children excluded from mainstream education. European Journal of Special Needs Education, 15, 79-87.
- Day, E., Arcelus, J. and Khan A. (1999) Perceived role of psychiatrists in the management of substance misuse. A questionnaire survey. Psychiatric Bulletin, 23, 667-670.
- Arcelus, J., Bellerby, T. and Vostanis, P. (1999) A Mental Health Service for young people in the care of the Local Authority. Clinical Child Psychiatry and Psychology, 4, 233-245.
- Laugharne, J., Arcelus, J. and Davies, A. (1996) Informing Patients about Tardive Dyskinesia: A Survey of Clinicians' Attitudes. The Journal of the European College of Neuropsychopharmacology, 6, 12-16.
- Taranis, L., Meyer, C., Touyz, S., Arcelus J., and La Puma. M. (2011) Loughborough Eating Disorders Activity Programme as part of individual therapy.
- Whight, D., McGrain, L., Baggott, J., Meadows, L., Langham, C., and Arcelus, J. (2011) Interpersonal Psychotherapy for Bulimia Nervosa (IPT BNm). London: Troubador Ltd.