Dr Lewis James
Lecturer in Nutrition
Tel +44 (0)1509 226305
Lewis graduated from the University of Reading with a BSc in Food Science in 2005 and went on to complete an MSc in Sport and Exercise Nutrition at Loughborough University in 2006.
Following this he stayed at Loughborough to undertake a PhD investigating the effects of energy restriction on fluid and electrolyte balance.
In October 2009 Lewis took up the position of Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Nutrition at Nottingham Trent University and in February 2012, returned to Loughborough to take up the position of Lecturer in Nutrition.
Lewis is a keen sportsman with a particular interest in boxing, mixed martial arts, rugby, cycling and rock climbing.
Lewis's main research interests focus on the interaction between diet and exercise and their effects on appetite regulation and fluid and electrolyte balance.
Projects currently being undertaken include:
- The effects of hydration status and fluid availability on appetite regulation.
- Salt intake and requirements in physically active populations.
- The effects of manipulating carbohydrate/ protein intake on appetite regulation.
- The effects of protein on post-exercise rehydration.
Invited reviewer for:
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise
- European Journal of Applied Physiology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Amino Acids
- Journal of Obesity
Invited Conference Keynote and Speaker Presentations
- Milk and Milk Proteins in Post-exercise Rehydration, Dairy Council Annual Conference, London, November 2011.
- Milk in Sport, Nutritionists in Industry Conference, March 2012.
- Hydration and Weight Management, English Institute of Sport/ Sport Wales CPD day, Cardiff, March 2011.
- Rollo I, Williams C, Croft L, James L (In press) The effects of carbohydrate-electrolyte beverage drinking strategy on 10 mile running performance. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise metabolism.
- James LJ Gingell R, Evans GE (2012) Effect of whey protein addition to a carbohydrate-electrolyte rehydration solution ingested after exercise in the heat. Journal of Athletic Training, 47, 61-66.
- James LJ Clayton D, Evans GE (2011) Effect of milk protein addition to a carbohydrate-electrolyte rehydration solution ingested after exercise in the heat. British Journal of Nutrition, 105, 393-399.
- Jackson KG, Armah CK, Doman I, James L, Cheghani F, Minihane AM (2009) The impact of age on the postprandial vascular response to a fish oil-enriched meal. British Journal of Nutrition, 102, 1414-1419.
- Armah CK, Jackson KG, Doman I, James L, Cheghani F, Minihane AM (2008) Fish oil fatty acids improve postprandial vascular reactivity in healthy men. Clinical Science, 114, 679-686.
You can view a fuller publications list on the University Publications Database.