British Heart Foundation National Centre for Physical Activity and Health
The BHF National Centre (BHFNC) for Physical Activity and Health is committed to developing and promoting initiatives to help professionals encourage more people to do more physical activity as part of everyday life.
The primary aim of the Centre is to develop, translate and disseminate research and practice-based evidence to expand and improve effective practice of physical activity promotion in the UK.
The British Heart Foundation National Centre provides professionals with
- A national focus and advocacy for physical activity
The Centre works with key agencies to raise the profile of physical activity and its benefits. BHFNC also organises an annual conference with a different physical activity related theme each year.
The BHFNC produces evidence-based resources, often in association with other national organisations, which provide sport, leisure, health and physical activity professionals with practical tools to help promote participation in physical activity.
The Centre provides training to support the dissemination and use of specific BHF resources. In addition, on request BHFNC will provide training for specific groups of practitioners such as dieticians, physical activity co-ordinators, sports development officers, teachers and health care professionals.
- Translating evidence into practice
BHFNC is involved in interpretation and translation of research and practice-based evidence to provide recommendations for policy and practice.
- A comprehensive information service
- Information Updates: Professionals registered on the BHFNC database receive monthly physical activity information updates. These outline all the latest developments in the field and provide up-to-date physical activity news, information, research and relevant funding opportunities.
- Helpline: The Centre runs a helpline for professionals with physical activity related questions. The helpline can be contacted on 01509 226421 or http://email@example.com
- Website: bhfactive.org.uk allows professionals to download resources and physical activity related information. The site is regularly updated so check it regularly to find out all the new developments.
- Evidence synthesis
Research literature is collated and key findings outlined.
BHFNC conducts new research and evaluation projects to develop the evidence base for what works in physical activity promotion.
- Partnership Working
The Centre works in collaboration with a number of national and international agencies, organisations and groups with a common goal of increasing levels of physical activity.